Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 01-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #41
trumant
Founding Member

Default Re: How about a CVT?

The Ridley mentioned earlier uses a CVT, as does the Gilera Ferro concept bike.

I wonder if weight ends up being an issue with the CVT or power loss under high torque?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #42
sliphorn
Registered Member

Default Re: Time for Auto Trans?

Hey PoppySTS, two wheelin' is two wheelin'. So, I test ride a 650 Burgman and like it, and somehow in your obviously highly intelligent eyes that makes me stupid. You've been learning from Pauli girl, haven't you?
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #43
sliphorn
Registered Member

Hey PoppySTS. Feminazis? That's really an original and well thought out comment. Perhaps I'll start calling you half a Pauli girl.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #44
sliphorn
Registered Member

mikenomad, your last sentence is way off mark. I know plenty of guys, myself included, who own and ride on a regular basis vintage Vespa and Lambretta scooters as well as motorcycles. Everything from Ducati's to H-D's. Why? Cuz two wheeled motorized vehicles are fekkin cool. Even ones with an auto trans.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #45
cptaebphd
Founding Member

The mockery is simply a reaction to the patent silliness of the question. The answer is obvious -- the market just isn't there. So rather than repeatedly restate the obvious, some are going to see the question as an opportunity to have fun.

I'm sure "anonymous" (if that's his real name) can take it.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #46
iamz
Founding Member

Nice stereotype. Guess I better sell my motorcycles and buy a scooter then. Thanks for setting me straight, err,....or so to speak.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #47
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

sliphorn says: "Cuz two wheeled motorized vehicles are fekkin cool. Even ones with an auto trans."

Exactly!

However, I've owned exactly 1 (one) automatic transmission in my life and shall never own another. I find that in motorcycles (as in cars) riders (drivers) are divided into two distinct camps; those that gag at the thought of automatics, and those who gag at the thought of a manuals.

My observation: Aside from the handicapped or injured, most people who like or want automatic transmissions are really not interested in the act of riding (driving), and simply want transportation. If they get a bike or sportscar and want an automatic, it is because they are interested in being "seen" on/in a "cool" vehicle, even though they really don't care to use the full potiential of that vehicle.

Conclusions:

1.) Most sportbikes would probably sell just as well with automatic transmissions, because most sportbike riders don't care to (or can't) use more than 70% of the vehicle's performance envelope.

2.) There is nothing "wrong" with wanting to have a cool vehicle, or with "posing" on your cool vehicle. (But I just don't "get" that desire)

3.) Ferrari ("F-1" paddle-shift) and BMW (SMG)are being ruined by people who think the purely technical answer to gear selection and engagement, outweighs the passion and art of driving. In both cases their top of the line sporting street cars are not available with a traditional clutch pedal.

3-b.) I can no longer afford an Enzo or even a new M5 or M3 CSL, so what the hell do I care?

4.) Shifting is a hell of a lot of fun!

-Sean

Old 01-30-2005, 05:10 PM   #48
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Sarnali says: "My wifes Hyundai has auto-stick, I don't think she uses it much, but I wring it out now and again. It'd probably be more fun in a 911"

Not really, no matter how you slice it, it is still transferring power through a torque converter and is missing the control and involvement that comes with a clutch pedal and a direct connection between the gears and the drive wheels. THe difference between a 911 and a 911 w/ tiptronic is night and day. Doctors, Lawyers and trophy wives love them though.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #49
seruzawa
The Toad

You don't get it. Each rider is supposed to join a faction -i.e. sportbiker, cruiser, beemer, whatever- and then he is supposed to denigrate everyone who rides something different than he does. Therefore by simply owning a type of motorcycle he becomes better than other people, even though there may be no actual observable real world evidence of any superiority.

Enjoy riding anything? Sacrilege!

Old 01-30-2005, 05:35 PM   #50
nbyers
Registered Member

Default SA gets right down to it

"Shifting is a hell of a lot of fun!"

--Sean Alexander

OK, that's the basic fact. And I like fun.

Of course this in no way excludes me from the fun of thrashing my wife's Vespa. With auto transmission, of course.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote