Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 08-26-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
bejbike
Founding Member

Default Re: Importing bikes from Europe

I had the same thought about bringing a used bike into Canada.

I ended up at

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

That should get you started.
bejbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 AM   #2
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Considering you can find a used one in the USA, I am wondering why you would go through the expense of shipping it from Greece.

Can you fill us in a little more?

Do you allready own the bike, why can't you sell it and buy a used one here?

Is the Euopean version of the VFR a higher spec motor or something?

As I said, it seems like an awfull high expense to get something shiped, that is available here.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:24 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You'll probably need to bribe the Gov't officials, preferably with a SV650 or a Concours.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:28 AM   #4
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I've worked as a US Customs Broker for about 25 years, Canadian laws regarding GST, VAT & duties would apply, I'm sure. Since it's a Honda, it most likely complies with all applicable Canadian/US laws anyway, except for a few minor items. You can get a letter from Honda regarding compliance with a particular model/country.

Since Canada's vehicle mfg laws closely resemble those of the US of A's, you'll have to check with a local Customs Broker in Canada on what forms need to be filled out, etc.

Also, the lights might have to be changed, to conform to Canada/US rules and regs.

I know in the US, when importing a non-conforming vehicle, it has to be impounded in a Customs bonded facility where the changes are made.

There use to be a place called Fred Noonan in Toronto who handled stuff like that.

Ship it via ocean freight. Should take about 20 days from Athens to YVR. Make sure you have a sturdy crate made up, drain the oil, gas, remove the battery.

Good luck.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default nokneedragin has a point...

Have you thought about selling it and shopping for a used one in Canada or are you just that attached to the '02?

If I were in the same situation but with my'98 ST1100 I must admit I'd have a hard time selling it. I know every tick, burp and giggle she's had in all if her almost 80,000 miles. That knowledge would be hard to give up.

Without a real attachment to the bike it would make sense to look at selling and buying locally but with such affection all bets are off and damn the expense, eh?

Just curious really.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:14 AM   #6
VFR750SK
Founding Member

It is a bike that was for sale on Ebay for a pretty good deal and the seller was willing to pay the shipping so I thought I would check into it. I thought that there would be a few MOers that could fill me in a little on the importation process. As I have looked into it further it is looking like it is a deal too good to be true and I don't think I will likely be risking my money on it. If the deal isn't a scam, I am also wondering why he doesn't just sell it in Europe instead of paying to ship it here??
VFR750SK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:21 AM   #7
sarnali
Founding Member

VFR's are a dime a dozen, they'd probably give him a Concours and an SV650 NOT to import it.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Don't do it

I wouldn't touch that bike with a 10 footer. You will send the money and get no bike. If it's for sale at a "good price" it's probably thousands below what you would normally pay, which tips you off right there. The reason he doesn't sell it in Europe is someone might just tell him they are coming to get the bike, which he doesn't have. Tell him your flying in to pick it up with check in hand and see what he says then. Tell him you always wanted to tour Greece anyway.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:58 AM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Donna do it laddie

No schmidt. E-Bay deals are perhaps the most specious on Earth.

And, foremost, you can't drive the thing around the block, to see if it shifts or makes funny noises. Or squirts coolant out the overflow.

I was gonna tell VFR750 that, after I saw the Ebay post, but WTF.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:02 AM   #10
triumph900
Founding Member

E-bay + pretty good deal + seller pays shipping = SCAM. The scientific notation is:

I(m)/Screwed - My money = Ouch(2)!

Run, don't walk!
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote