Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 08-26-2004, 11:22 AM   #11
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Importing bikes from Europe

If its to good to be true, then its a scam.

By the way I need to launder some ethiopian currency through your bank account, Do you mind?

I'll give you half!

But, MOrons we need not let this string die, Please speak up on international shipping of motorcycles. There are enough bike in Europe and Japan that never see the light of day in America. Might gleen something usefull out of one of these stories (other than Kpaul's a moron and everyone here has a strong opinion)
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #12
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Donna do it laddie

A co-worker of mine bought a '94 FXR on E-bay, flew down to Florida and picked up the bike, then rode it back home to Wa.

After new tires, an oil change and check-out at the Harley dealer in Ft. Meyers he still saved about $1500 over Seattle area prices, plus he got a good coast-to-coast break-in ride.

Not all E-bay deals are scams, this one turned out pretty well. I've thought about it myself for when I get a new bike. If I can go through a dealer, pay for shipping and still come out ahead then why not?

This VFR deal is a stinker though
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:14 PM   #13
theDuke
Founding Member

Default Re: Donna do it laddie

I agree that this deal looks really fishy... as with any transaction, you need to use common sense.

I personally bought my used Triumph on eBay Motors and had a great experience. I found a bike that just wasn't available locally for a great price. Likewise, the seller had been trying to sell the bike locally (he was from a small town in the far Northern reaches of California) and had no other reasonable method.
theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #14
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Importing bikes from anywhere

The problem is, stringent EPA, DOT, NHTSA regulations that cover everything from headlight size, reflectors, to charcoal canisters, and EVAP valves.

Here in the Peoples Republik of Kailfornia, the bike has to pass the ARB (Air Resources Board) and CARB (California Air Resources Board). And then there is the B.A.R. (Bureau of Automotive Repair) that has to issue a sticker, before you can register the vehicle if it doesn't conform. There is also an importing pamphlet the size of the Gutenberg Bible that covers these babelized regulations.

The D.O.T form HS-7 (that has to be completed upon importation) makes special reference to "non-conforming" vehicles, and has provisions for "substantiating statements" from the foreign shipper, attesting to the vehicles ability to conform, or not. You can view these regulations in the Code of Federal Regulations, sec. 49, U.S.C. 301 et seq. 325 & 331. Also 5 U.S.C. 552a(e)(3).

In my case, I have an account that imports new Harleys from Switzerland for rental purposes. The bikes conform to all applicable US regulations, but the speedo and a few other things that escape me at the moment have to be changed, at a bonded location, before the importer can take possession of the bikes. I also have to get a letter from Harley stating these facts.

Of course, I offered to "break in" the new Harleys for my account (Moturis, Compton, Ca.) and still do. Dynas and Heritage Softails. It's real work trying to put 1000 miles on one in a week, but I do my best. Heh heh (just don't bring 'em back dirty).

Old 08-26-2004, 12:56 PM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Importing bikes from Inja

In 1993, I tried to become the distributor for Indian Enfield motorcycles, in California.

You should see what the EPA, CARB & ARB put bikes through, in order to get one certified for import.

HowÂ’s about 10,000 miles on a dyno, analyzing everything from hydrocarbons, oil contamination from unburnt gas, and NO2

(Nox). Not to mention safety features, like shift patterns casted into the case, and the size of the reflectors on the tail light housing.

I figured the Indian Enfield was noxious enough, so I dropped the whole deal.

It would have cost over fifty grand to get the line of bikes certified. Fooey

Old 08-26-2004, 04:18 PM   #16
imported_mike_
Founding Member

How can it be cheaper to import a Harley

from Switzerland?
imported_mike_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:23 PM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

Default First of alll, this never happened

But if I just happened to be in the military, and stationed in a country that had unobtainium motorcycles, I might be tempted to buy one, dissassemble it, and ship it to the states via APO/FPO mail.

IIRC, everything fit nicely, except the frame, which went as unspecified household goods.

Uh, would've went, that is.

Old 08-27-2004, 07:18 AM   #18
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Moturis is a Swiss based company that sells packaged tours to Swiss tourists.

They get some real good deals, I guess. And since the bikes are "American Goods Returned" you don't pay any duties, just a $25.00 merchandise processing fee.

My neighbors think I work for the mob or something, since there's a different HD in my driveway every week, twice a year for about two months. Neat bikes. Like a big Cushman Eagle. I like the Dyna, myself. The Heritage is too ponderous.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:21 AM   #19
VFR750SK
Founding Member

I didn't say that I had already sent the guy the money. I am not stupid, I just noticed the ad on Ebay and I was wondering what would be involved in importing the bike and thought maybe it would make an interesting discussion. After investigating the ad a little more, I quickly decided that it was way too risky and phony for me.

Thanks to those that gave me a little better idea of what all is involved in the importation process.

VFR750SK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #20
staff
Registered Member

test

staff is offline   Reply With Quote