Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 01-08-2001, 09:58 AM   #1
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: New V-6 Blackbird?

If you follow the links and read what the "Reports" say you'll notice that they also talk about the upcoming releases of the kawasaki ZX-12R and "Honda's about to be unveiled World Superbike Contender... the NTR-1000" Looks like the site is over a year old. IF the report was at all based on fact, don't you think that someone else would have picked up on it over the past year?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2001, 10:57 AM   #2
torresmr
Founding Member

The engine in the S 2000 is a 2 liter, not a 1.8.
torresmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 11:19 AM   #3
Mnick
Founding Member

I agree with you. It's a wonderful rumour but I think that's about all it's worth. I do hope that they us that V-6 engine in the new ST1100.
Old 01-08-2001, 01:22 PM   #4
RedBrick
Founding Member

Not another one............I can't for the life of me understand this need to make bikes that are beyond riders capabilities to handle. 250bhp....thats ridiculous!!! I've seen enough idiots with to much power crash on turns on Mullhuland simply because its so difficult to manage proper throttle modulation of R1's, Busa's, ZX12's, and various assorted 900's....let alone 600's....while bouncing through a tight turn. Just a couple of weeks ago, Jay Leno shows up at the Rock Store with one of those English "rocket" bikes....don't ever pull up behind one, according to Leno if your cage has a plastic grill it will last about 15 seconds before melting....but the damn thing was obviously unmanageable.....ESPECIALLY on any kind of a sweeper. I think Yamaha is closing in on a more suitable bike with the FJ1300 and I'm hearing rumors that Honda is actually going to phase out the ST1100 and Blackbird so as to come up with something to more directly do battle in sport tourers arena. Sure I'm inclined toward sport tourers, they are to heavy to allow you to do anything really stupid in the twisties. Sure would like to see more power there....with some good wind protection for those long trips....some character like BMW's with good old Japanese practicality for low maintenance and dependablity. Love the look of Ducati's ST's, but my bet is on the new FJ1300 (when it arrives on this side of the pond that is) and Big Red doing a number to update the Tupperware king and Black Suck you off my back bikes.

RedBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 01:44 PM   #5
MC
Founding Member

BTW, where did you hear that the GL has a V6?
MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 03:48 PM   #6
James
Founding Member

Ho Hum. Another big, fast expensive bike for someone, but no one I know. Also, the remarks about the age of the story should be taken seriously, as this is probably another B.S. story. On a practical note, where would you ride it to get the most performance out of it if you don't live in Nevada or Montana? Bring back small, fast, cheap(er) two-strokes!!!!
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 05:55 PM   #7
floundericiousFL
Founding Member

Default Been Waiting for VTEC to show....

I drive a VTEC Honda Prelude...and a buddy of mine, who has raced bikes and has a honey of a 93 VFR, has said he can't understand why Honda hasn't moved their VTEC system into a motorcycle...

just imagine...you could tune the low cam to get a torque peak at a mid-range rpm....and then use the wild camshaft to change that torque "peak" into a torque "plateau" extending almost all the way to re dline!!!!!! *droool*

plus the sound when a DOHC VTEC engine goes to the high camshaft is just BIT**IN!!!! !
floundericiousFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 07:21 PM   #8
El-Guapo
Founding Member

You know how much insirance would cost for that here in BC Canada??? Insurance rates are directly related to the cc's of the engine, stupid eh??
El-Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 04:59 AM   #9
banda
Founding Member

I'll believe it when I see it in a Honda brochure. Honda's had the last four years to boost the 97 Blackbird's performance, and they didn't do it.

All of the changes since 97 were for driveability, rounding out the 97's notorious flat spot, and increasing comfort.

Aftermarket tuners have shown that it doesn't take much to punch up the carburetted 97 and 98 model birds to be competitive in performance with the Hyabusa and the ZX-12. I think that if Honda gave a rat's ass about having the most powerful motorcycle, they could have done it with the existing inline four for a fraction of the cost of developing a V6.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 07:44 AM   #10
VFRider
Registered Member

Let me get this straight. A FJ1300 is fine for you because you are obviously a hugely talented rider with superhuman self-control, but the rest of us must stick with 600s so we don't hurt ourselves. Do I have that right?
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote