Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 02-03-2004, 10:09 AM   #31
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: MFI in Woodbridge, VA was selling two of them for around 23K when I was in DC

If you can't fix it, don't ride it.

Catalog customs suck.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2004, 10:25 AM   #32
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Default Re: Basically true

Take a look at the thread...i was simply pointing out that people clearly do not buy bikes based solely on their performance, handling, wheelies, etc... and poser value does play a role.

I mentioned Harley because that is a case and point; when I go for a ride , i see more Harleys than all other makes combined. And Harleys surely are not know for being the best performing and handling bikes out there. Never said the GoldWing was either.

People buy Harleys for the name. If you have to have the logo on your bike, and you dont mind paying the extra $$ for it, do it. It is your choice.

Just don't say people should not spend $25k for a Rune and should only spend it on a Harley or an Italian something or other like the original poster did.

Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 AM   #33
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Checked CycleTrader

Just for kicks, I had a look at CycleTrader. I searched for:
<blockquote>[*]Manufacturer = <tt>Honda</tt>[*]Keyword = <tt>Rune</tt>
</blockquote>
Here are the results...</p>
<blockquote>

98 Runes listed for sale.

I had a look at the first 25 ads.
Many were offered at retail or slightly discounted.</p>

The Rune is a limited run, right? How many units were built?

It would be interesting to know what proportion of all Runes are on CycleTrader.</p>
</blockquote>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 AM   #34
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

You see, winger, what aggravates me the most about your posts is you repeat ad nauseam that all Harley riders are the same. "People buy Harleys for the name." This simply is not true, Winger. Not for all of us.

I owned nothing but Honda most of my life. My wife was the first to bring a non Honda into the house with her V-Star 1100. I had never gone to Harley because I wasnÂ’t willing to pay the premiums that many dealers were charging at the time. Then I rented an old EVO RoadKing. That first weekend my wife and I put on over 500 of the most comfortable and entertaining miles weÂ’d ever done. Three years later I owned my first Harley and had my Valk up for sale. Two years after that my wife sold her V-Star for a 2002 Road Glide.

Before you go thinking that my idea of an entertaining ride includes slogging along at below average speeds think again. The FLHRI and FLTRI both have a Buell engineered front end which places the down tubes behind the center post which allows for a 26 degree fork angle. This, combined with a nice lean angle, well balanced weight and substantial TC88 Stage I power, provides a quick turning, tire smoking, poser embarrassing, squid impressing touring bike. ThereÂ’s nothing more entertaining than laying down a nice display of sparks while out cornering some straight line wannabe on the latest street racer. It also happens to get 45 to 50 mpg on the highway and 38 to 42 in the city and somehow it does all this not because of the name on the tank. It does it because it answers correctly exactly the questions I ask of it.

I just wish I hadn't let this get to me so much today.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default What he said!

I'm with ya bro. I love that mass generalization about all Harley buyers. I'll bet winger's never been on one.

I'll go mile for mile with anyone on the geezer glide. In fact, there may be a Saddle Sore 1000 in the glide's future.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:20 PM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

(rant)

I don't understand why there's such a big deal about this anyhow. So people like Harley's. Is that hurting the people who don't? Does the fact that a cruiser can't do 1:59 lap times matter to those who don't ride at the track? Does the fact that Joe's bike does 2 finger braking and Bill's doesn't make Joe a better person. Some of the great racers are also some of the most disgusting people.

I may make jokes but I welcome the new Harley poser crowd. Many of them become politically active. Many of them will add sportbikes to their garages. Same with the sportbike guys. Those that survive will learn to appreciate more relaxed riding.

Most the Harley guys I know own Japanese bikes as well. I don't hear the gratuitous insults from most of them that I hear from far too many of the squids.

I also see far more squids as statistics in the local paper. See how much good all that "superior handling and braking" does for an idiot?

(/rant)
Old 02-03-2004, 12:34 PM   #37
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Some anecdotal evidence to support your rant:

A guy with whom I frequently ride always rode Japanese bikes (zx-10, Concours (!). His girlfriend rode a H-D Wide Glide and was very active in the San Diego HOG group. He went on numerous trips, poker runs, etc. with her.

He claims not once did anyone have a negative thing to say about the rice burner coming along for the ride. In fact the only thing he noticed was that he wasn't ever noticed.

Later, he went to check out a meeting of a local (non-Harley) riders club. He said the meeting consisted of about an hour's worth of people talking about what pieces of crap Harleys were. I don't beleive he joined the club.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:12 PM   #38
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Default Re: What he said!

Actually I have ridden a Low Rider or Super Glide or something at the York Open House. I was not impressed at all. It vibrated like hell, and the handling felt numb. Granted that is a low-end Harley, and there are better Harley models...

And, I had a deposit on a VRod until I found out they only get 80 miles to a tank stock; i do not want to live at the gas station.

Then by pure luck, I got to take a Wing for a ride...and thought...wow, all this for thousands less than the VRod!?!?!?!? I had never considered a Wing before.

Glad to hear you like your 'geezer glide'. I would assume that is their touring bike...the Electra Glide?

Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:32 PM   #39
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: What he said!

I jokingly refer to it as the Geezer Glide because at 39 I'm riding an old man's bike. I've got a Ducati ST4 as well.

I'm guessing you rode a sportster if it vibrated like hell. I had a Low Rider for 5 years and it has the same rubber mounted motor and is really smooth on the road.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:09 PM   #40
rich_lindley
Founding Member

Default Re: Two sitting in the showroom

rune now avsailable for $20,999

discounts everywhere......
rich_lindley is offline   Reply With Quote