Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 02-03-2004, 08:19 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: MFI in Woodbridge, VA was selling two of them for around 23K when I was in DC

I got bit by the chopper craze back in the '70s. I managed to ruin..er I mean customze a perfectly good Ksaki W2650. So I understand completely the desire to build and own custom bikes.

I don't care to own choppers any more but I do respect the people who take the time and effort to build them. On the other hand when someone just bellies up to the bar and tries to merely buy one, well, I got no respect for that.

If someone puts his own time and energy into customizing a Harley or modding an SV650 or doing any of his own work to make his bike the way he wants it, I think that's great.

I don't have have respect for those who think they can just buy it. It's not their custom. It's someone else's. If there is another bike almost identical to yours then yours is not a custom. You can't buy class. Just look at Hollywood.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2004, 08:48 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Basically true

Bet you've never ridden an ironhead Sportster with a 72in stroker kit. Wheelies galore. Loads of smoke... and not from the tailpipe. Well, maybe some from the tailpipe.

I never thought I'd see a Wing owner criticize Harley guys on the subject of gas mileage

Old 02-03-2004, 09:05 AM   #23
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Basically true

No Kidding. The Geezer Glide gets about 40 and that's got to be better than the gas-guzzling wing.

My frame didn't crack either.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:20 AM   #24
Winger4Life
Founding Member

LOL! Here comes the "my bike is better than yours crowd.

Someone talks about poser bikes and how you should only ask yourself how well it performs and wheelies and stops, so I pointed out the FACT that poser value does matter as look at the number of Harleys on the road. People DO care about the poser value of their bike.

If you just look at performance and handling Harley is surely not there, nor is a GoldWing, VTX, Mean Streak or ANY cruiser. Everyone would simply own a R1, ZX10, or Gixxer; they are dirt cheap and blow away pretty much everything else.

BTW - I can pop wheelies on my Gold Wing too, but that is besides the point. And last trip I took, I got 42 mpg, but that too is besides the point.
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:39 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I never get into the my bike is better than yours bashing. I don't care what someone else rides. You're the one who throws out the Harley cracks in every post.

I think the Wing is a fine motorcycle-I just didn't want one in my garage.

And don't think poser value is exclusive to the Harley crowd. The Gixxer crowd is just as much into posing as anyone else. Why else would they buy a bike that's way beyond their ability, only to sell it a year later (at a total loss) and buy one even further beyond their ability because it 1% better.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:56 AM   #26
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: But my bike IS better than yours..

While there's going to be a percentage of people that buy certain models for the pose value, I'd say for most riders they buy their particular ride because it's what grabs them and won't let go.

Around here most Harley riders are middle aged, and middle income, to whom a $20k bike represents a pretty considerable investment. I have more faith in my fellow riders than to believe ALL of them bought bikes to impress others,

If I wanted a unique cruiser I'd get one of those Rocket 111's, It looks cool and actually has good performance and rideability.

As for gas milage my Trophy gets 36 or so with the trunk on and 38 with it off. You see, all those horses need a drink.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:56 AM   #27
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Rune Sales

Here here! The great thing about opinions is that everyone has one. The fact that someone doesn't like it means that the bike wasn't built for them, so go look at the other models. There's a different flavor for everybody. Isn't America great?
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #28
VMan_1
Founding Member

Default Re: MFI in Woodbridge, VA was selling two of them for around 23K when I was in DC

I used to share your feelings with my MG - anyone who doesn't perform electrical services along the road doesn't own a real car and is not a real man......
VMan_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:06 AM   #29
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Rune Sales

A Mini Cooper is on my short list, next to the new Altima, RX330, Range Rover, Jag. S type or S-60 Volvo. or 350 Z or RX8...

My car passion is exceeded only buy my passion for bikes, Sadly both are preceeded buy my kids foolish desire to eat and live in a decent home.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:07 AM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: What will my friends think of me down at the Burger Barn?

......But how does it compare to a used VFR ?