Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 10-01-2003, 08:17 AM   #61
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

Default Re: Honda Recalls Goldwing 1800s

Just to clarify a point you mentioned.

Deming was drummed out of the USA around WWII because the big manufacturers in America didn't NEED his ideas on efficiency and didn't want change...

so, he went to Japan and they listened.

that's why the US is no longer an exporter, just an importer.

just my .02
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2003, 09:19 AM   #62
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: It's Not Bush's fault, It's Your Fault

Hey, you get your shots in every chance you get.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 09:23 AM   #63
grover750
Founding Member

Do you know (I'm asking honestly here, not flaming) of any 18's where there was actual engine damage due to overheating? I've heard some people refer to this as a temperature gauge problem, not an engine overheating problem.

I've had problems with my wing, also. I bought a '78 GL1000 with 69k on it for $950 dollars. On the way back from Alaska, my speedometer broke, which napped the cable. On highway 50 in the middle of Nevada. Damn Hondas. I had to ride all the way back to minnesota without a speedometer. I'll never buy another wing. Can't trust 'em.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 10:10 AM   #64
Winger4Life
Founding Member

When the ECM is replaced, they do a full inspection of the engine to check it out. You could try posting up on www.gwrra.org, but I don't recall seeing any posts from anyone having damage there, although I could be mistaken.
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 10:15 AM   #65
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

As to the actual engine damage, I don't believe anyone would continue to run their bike with the needle in the red. Would you?Most owners are concerned about shortened engine life because of such a situation, and I, as well as they, believe this is a totally unacceptable situation for a 17,000 buck bike. In my opinion, the cooling system is not adequate for the motor they developed. Larger + more horsepower = More Heat. I think they failed to account for it. As for your 78 Gl, why do you think most owners put a voltage readout on theirs? Unfortunatly for Honda, the previous iterations of Wings were much better and cheaper than this one.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:21 AM   #66
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: If Honda built an airplane....

Buz, yer crackin me up! Man you are on a Honda bashing roll. I only got in when the Honda morons somehow want to bring up Harley every time something goes wrong with their beloved brand. They somehow justify everything Honda does as right, no matter if they ***** up or not. Let's get the facts on board. Honda screwed the pooch on the "new and improved" GoldWing.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #67
Winger4Life
Founding Member

So Porsche did not make the motor? That is quite a revelation...i suggest you double check that.

And how did you arrive that I do not know how to work on my motorcycle?

As for Buell competing against Ducati...LOL!!! That is like saying Buick is competition for Lexus! Not even in the same league. I am trying to think of the last race I saw a Buell in....oh yeah, they dont race Buells as they are too unreliable.

AS for what you ride, I do not recall telling you what to ride. Ride what you want; it does not matter to me. Just keep your Harley out of my way, as I don't want to slip on the leaking oil or hit any parts flying off it!

LOL. I OWN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 10:57 AM   #68
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: If Honda built an airplane....

Really I've got nothing against Honda. My first bike was a '73 XR75. There definitely is a double standard amongst the masses here when it comes to recalls though.

Think about it: three of Honda's major bikes have had substantial quality/design problems.

New VFR-alternator issues

ST1300-heat management problems

Wing-heat and frame problems

If the Electra Glide, Duece and VRod had similar issues the chattering class would be going nuts.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 11:14 AM   #69
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: It's Not Bush's fault, It's Your Fault

Go jump in a lake
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 11:20 AM   #70
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

No, it is obviously a contstruction flaw, and NOT a design flaw, because if it were a design flaw they would recall every single bike of that design that they ever made, and they're not doing that. They are just recalling the ones within a certain serial number range that were improperly welded.