Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 10-02-2003, 01:31 PM   #121
grover750
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Recalls Goldwing 1800s

All I'm saying is that I've seen posts on this board from people saying that they consider it a gauge problem, as in, ignore it, it won't cause engine damage. I DON'T know if this is true or not. I'm just trying to find out, honest. Hondas are my favorite brand, but I don't put them on a pedestal, they make mistakes. The cooling system on the 1800 may be inadequate. At the very least, they have give their owners reason to worry, which is unacceptable for a $16k bike. I'm interested down the road in getting a used 1800, and am just trying to find out if anyone has ever heard of ACTUAL ENGINE DAMAGE from tooling along at 10 mph.

You obviously have an axe to grind if you think the "engineering sucks" on this bike. I'm sure you've ridden one, what did you think? I was amazed. Crazy amounts of smooth power, easy to shift, stiff frame, corners incredibly for a 898 lb bike, and to top it off, is more comfortable than my car. Yeah. The engineering sucks. Uh-huh.

I get the reward for dumb question of the week:

Longride: " why do you think most owners put a voltage readout on theirs?"

Me: "Measuring what?"

Uh, duh, maybe voltage?

I've never had any electrical troubles (except for a short I caused by incorrectly installing the resistor for the electronic ignition) with my '78, it's been stone cold reliable. It's 26 years old and has 85,000 miles on it, and I'd leave to ride it across the country TOMORROW if I had the time & money. I think the electrical problems were with the 11's & 12's.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2003, 02:48 PM   #122
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: It's Not Bush's fault, It's Your Fault

Suzy you I have never made a claim that wasn't true. Also you are boring to argue with cause you don't use facts and always always resort to name calling.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 03:05 PM   #123
KPaulCook
Banned

Default My many blessings

OK coder. I am blessed by God with a great wife, kids, friends, job, bike, education, mind, body and the three stooges of MO.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:08 PM   #124
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Which Questions?

Can you be specific. Or was your remark meant to be more rhetorical?
Old 10-02-2003, 08:48 PM   #125
donalcallis
Founding Member

Default Re: Which Questions?

Sure. I'll respond to one of his demands to make my point.

11. Mr. President, we need an explanation of the unconfirmed report that your Administration is dishonoring the life of a soldier who died in Iraq as a result of hostile action by misclassifying his death as an accident.

Now, I don't know the specifics of the incident that resulted in the death of that Soldier. Maybe the actual classification has since been changed, but here are my concerns (again, being a career Soldier):

a. The administration doesn't classify deaths of soldiers - the military does. Maybe during Vietnam, the admin's of Nixon and/or LBJ tried to play that game, but it doesn't happen today. Dean should know that if he aspires to be the Commander in Chief.

b. The military is very, very anal about classifying all incidents which result in injury or death, in peacetime and during war. They do this so that they can understand the cause, and attempt to 'fix' what caused the incident in the first place. Was it due to poor tactics, lack of leadership, insufficient training, mechanical failure, etc.? Not only must the local commanders review each incident and take corrective actions, but all reports are sent up the chain so that (someone) can compile that data from all military units to identy trends and take action on a more global scale. Say, a Soldier driving a tank carrier rolled the truck in a traffic accident. The local commander may think this is an isolated incident due to insufficient training. But, higher Hq can see that there were 15 similar accidents in the past 3 months involving the same type of vehicle, so now they can begin testing to see whether or not there is a stability problem with that vehicle. As you can see, the proper classification of any incident is important, and is used to protect Soldiers going forward. For Dean: If this Soldier did die in a traffic accident (or, any other type of accident), do you expect the military to "lie" about the cause of death? That is the way I read his demand. He doesn't supply any facts to back up his claim of hostile action, and without that, I guess the military should just lie? Now he has an integrity issue.

c. How is a Soldier being dishonored by dying in an accident? Was he/she above accidents, just too good to ever be involved in one? How would Dean ascertain that fact? Or, does the family of this Soldier just want to look at their Soldier as a war hero, and not someone who died in an accident? If this is the case, then Dean is just pandering and asking the military to lie for the sake of this family. And, if the Soldier did die of an accident and not hostile action, then reclassifying his/her death "would" dishonor the deaths of those other Soldiers who did die in hostile action. And, yes, I have seen just this same scenario before. A Soldier dies, and Mom and Dad refuse to believe their Johhny could have died from (say, playing around, juggling his grenades, and one of his grenades goes off because "he" screwed up). But, Mom and Dad complain to their Congressman and Senator, and raise all sorts of hell to get the cause of death changed. Having that type of a death classified the same as the young private (who dies while trying to save his buddies that have been pinned down) does do a serious dishonor to all of those that died in hostile action.

He probably doesn't even know what kind of damage his reputation would have if the rest of the military saw this particular demand of his to Bush. Throwing out a comment like this, though, without substantiating data to show that the cause of death was truly mis-classified tells me:

Dean is a pandering petty politician, has integrity issues, doesn't understand how the military operates, and can't define honor. These are not good qualities to have as a Commander in Chief. Maybe he can learn to overcome all of this, maybe not.
donalcallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 05:19 AM   #126
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

No axe grinding here, just facts. So Honda put bad gauges on the bike? And you believe that? You mean there are no owners that can tell when a motor is running too hot and when it's not? I think you underestimate the average Wing rider, as they are as anal as they come with all aspects of the bike. You are right. The engineering was fantastic on the 1800. That's why the frames are breaking and they overheat. I get it now. Must be my myopia acting up again. No matter what the power, handling, or comfort, you ain't going far with a steaming engine or a broken frame. I'd say that sucks. Maybe your mileage differs. I have ridden the new bike and it didn't need extra power and better handling. It needed better rider and passenger adjustability and better gas mileage and more luggage space. It's a touring bike. I really don't care that it can go 140 when I can't pack my stuff. I don't care about the acceleleration when I have to stop for gas so often. It doesn't matter how comfortable it is when it's overheating or the frame breaks. My 1996 1500 never had ANY of these problems. Until the new ones get fixed up, I wouldn't even consider buying one.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:12 AM   #127
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Point 1

You know, Americans have been attacked by people other that Bin Laden. He's not the only one out there.

Again, where did I say that the FIRST one was connected to Iraq?
Old 10-03-2003, 03:13 PM   #128
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Economics for dummies and why Bush is failing

No, actually I was just really bored at work and was looking for some entertainment.(Flame baiting works both ways, by the way.) The KPaul amusement factor hasn't worn off yet for me. I'm sure it will eventually, just like my penchant for doing long, smoky burnouts in church parking lots right when services let out; they eventually (quickly) lost their appeal.

Old 10-03-2003, 03:38 PM   #129
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Because:

A) They probably don't have the multi-million dollar budget required to run in that series.

B) Their current bikes don't even come close to meeting regulations of that series, so

C) They would have to develop a completely new design, of which there seems to be few(two, to be exact) that are actually competitive in this series. Most of Buell's current ideology is built on being unique in some way. Building another full-on roadrace bike similar to a current entry in the class violates this ideology. Add to that

D) Even if they did develop a racebike to compete in MotoGP, it really wouldn't help them sell bikes, since their current bikes would be completely different from actual roadrace bikes, requiring them to build an entirely new class of streetbikes that somewhat resembled their racebikes (at least outwardly), but also conformed to the twenty-year-old ingrained notion in the marketplace that a "real" sportbike is an inline four with an aluminum twin-spar frame, and the last thing they would want to build is another "unique and original" Japanese inline four sales flop like the Triumph TT600.

E) If they did develop said inline-four streetbikes, they would need to continually dump money into their continuing improvement, year after year, caught in a downward spiral of decreasing profits and increasing development costs. Lastly...

F) MotoGP technology is largely useless for developing real, functional streetbikes, especially when your racebike design doesn't match your streetbike design. Honda is a perfect examply- kicking everyone's ass in MotoGP, but getting spanked on the sales floor because they are sinking all their money and engineering manpower into racing and not new product development for street sportbikes; Racing may help build better racebikes with more power and better handling in 150mph corners, but bikes today are so good that the actual progress in usable street technology directly from the hugely expensive racebikes in MotoGP is minimal at best. The Unit Pro-Link is a good example; it may work great on a $10 million racebike, but on an $8600 streetbike like the 600RR it doesn't work any better than a conventional link-type single shock.

Old 10-03-2003, 03:43 PM   #130
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: If Honda built an airplane....

And the CBR954RR steering head bearing "product update" to fix the tankslapper problem.