Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 10-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #91
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Tsk, tsk, tsk

Good point.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2003, 01:45 PM   #92
rider_md
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Recalls Goldwing 1800s

funny how when you can't defend your posts with logic, you go with personal attacks.

but i refuse to debase myself and attack your person, and will instead tear your post apart.

Fact: Harley-Davidson bought a minority interest in the Buell Motorcycle Company in 1992 and the remaining stock in 1998. HD had 49% for awhile then decided to buy a majority making them the owners of BMC by 1998.

While I cannot speak on the reliability of the '98s, seeing how i never owned one nor did extensive research, one might see their issues on sites such as www.badweatherbikers.com.

Fact: i can however, claim knowledge, certainly more so than you, based on my ownership and subsequent research of x1 models..'99-'02. see my above post to review some of the problems that I had, which were very common to most buells.

Re: the lawsuit, they DID win, even with repeated appeals by the mother company.

selling a 500 cure kit is a sure way to attract more customers... lol.

So you knew about the honda wing problems long before MCN said anything.

and that makes you.... what? ok? what exactly does that prove here?

and so lets return to the base argument here... one guy rips on harleys... which was tangential and inappropriate, i agree... but then you retort with "What 'silent recalls' have they done? I can't think of any, and I rode Harley's since 1980. "

which subtly implies that harleys have been without major issues since the '80s... major issues defined by something big enough to initiate a recall. right?

if this twin cam lawsuit and its subsequent fix in the factory for later models by harley isn't a 'silent recall', i dunno what is.

so with all of this in mind, you then tell me I'm blinded.

and how exactly am i blinded? with your flagrant ignorance about a bike you've never researched nor owned (buell)? perhaps so.

how about refining your posts with logic, rather than personal attacks for a change?

that would be quite refreshing. good day to you.
rider_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:53 PM   #93
donalcallis
Founding Member

Default Re: Economics for dummies and why Bush is failing

Hmm, so many targets.

1. $200B hasn't been spent yet, but even when it is spent, it's better than the alternative. I suppose you support the idea of firing off a few Tomahawks at empty tents whenever we are attacked, instead of standing up? Where is the proof of Bush lying instead of the intelligence being faulty. I suppose Bush personally collected all the intel himself? Soldiers died, yes they did. Having been a career Soldier, and having had two children join the Army in the past few years, I hate to see us go to war and see the Soldiers fight and get maimed or killed. But, I'd rather see this than see us get attacked and our nation do nothing but roll over and wait for the next one. Blowing up emtpy tents with Tomahawks isn't much of a message. Your kids paying for this war? Maybe, instead, they'll be paying the cost of freedom.

2. Tax cuts for the rich? Last I saw, the cuts were for a lot more people than just the rich. Didn't you get one, or don't you work? Today's military is all volunteer, provides a great benefit to this country and to those who serve. Sure, if you serve, you may have to go in to harm's way, and that truly does suck. All wars suck. In this case, we were attacked, and we are responding. If your neighbor comes over and kills your dog and rapes your wife, will you respond by throwing rocks at his house while he is at work? War IS hell, but you should feel fortunate to have so many bright and gifted people willing to serve so you can sit around and ***** and complain.

3. The displaced worker theme needs some work. I suppose you feel that Bush should declare martial law, and dictate that no company operating in America can outsource work, lay off workers, or use non-American-made products. And, of course, no company could go bankrupt with that model. But, if they did, the Federal Government can just go ahead and bail them out (regardless of how inefficient or poorly managed they might be). Let's just forget that with no imports, we'll soon be faced with no exports (what foreign country wouldn't retaliate?). There are areas in which there isn't a level playing field, but people often forget that in some of those areas, we have the advantage. Are you willing to give up all the subsidies we have in place? What about the jobs that would be lost? Hmmm. Which way do you want it?

4. How can you possibly imply that corporate greed took hold when Bush was elected, or when the tax cuts came out? Corporate greed has existed for centuries. Part of the problem, in this country, is that CEO's are rewarded for short-term gains, particularly dividends. Look at how much CEO's made during the 90's, when both the economy and stock market grew so fast that neither could be sustained, hence, the recession. But, of course, the recession was Bush's fault, too, huh? There wasn't any greed in the 90's, and neither did the economy and stock market explode way too fast, huh? Comparing Japanese CEO salaries to US CEO salaries is like comparing an SV650 to a Connie. First, salaries are only a portion of any CEO's compensation. Without knowing the total compensation package, providing just salary information is nothing more than misleading. Secondly, Honda does not typically release salary information, but do you honestly believe Honda's CEO is compensated as an average CEO? Thirdly, a Japanese CEO is typically rewarded for long-term revenue growth. He/She is not rewarded for short term gains with enormous packages, which fosters short-term employment like here in the US. His/Her compensation is based on a successfull long-term performance with the company, and not just for the time period as CEO. In the US, especially prevalant in the 90's, was a culture of pure greed where CEO's did everything they could to make and sustain growth in the price of their company's stock, whether it was realistic or even legal. And, nobody in government seemed to care, because the economy was booming. But, since everything went too fast and wasn't sustainable, a recession was inevitable. The greed and misconduct that existed in and was so prevalant in the 90's led to the recession, and surely isn't the fault of the tax cuts. Greed isn't fostered by Democrats or by Republicans, and plenty of misconduct can be found regardless of who is the President.

Lastly, the first thought I had when I saw all of your posts today was whether or not you were at work while you were so stridently making your position known. I hope not, I really do. If you were, though, it'd just be another example of our fine American work ethic (where companies are forced to relocate or outsource work because things aren't getting done here).

donalcallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:00 PM   #94
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Not sure what endurance races you are looking at, but I am looking at the MotoGP World Championship Standings and I see #4 Capirossi and #5 Bayliss who both happen to ride Ducati Bikes. Oh yeah, btw, the top three spots are Hondas

Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:19 PM   #95
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

MotoGP is not an endurance race by any stretch of the imagination. Try a real endurance race like Suzuka, or any 24 hour race, and there usually aren't any Ducatis in the top ten.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:21 PM   #96
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Japan has CEOs that listen and are in it for the long run

Averages mean jack ***** in this situation. You need to compare the salaries of CEOs in similar size companies with similar revenue levels for any meaningful comparison. The CEO of GE's salary is radically different from the CEO of a small Midwestern toilet paper company.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:23 PM   #97
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Point 1

Never said there was a connection. Quit putting words in my mouth.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:27 PM   #98
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Economics for dummies and why Bush is failing

You can carry the flag from here- you're better at explaining this stuff than I am. Good job.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:11 PM   #99
donalcallis
Founding Member

Default Re: It's Not Bush's fault, It's Your Fault

RE: Resentment towards the US.

Sure, I'd love everyone to just love us and want us and need us and respect us, all the time. T'ain't gonna happen, though. Different countries have different needs and wants and standards for who they trust and respect. We cannot (and shouldn't) try to please them all. First, you get no respect, and secondly, our own needs and wants will be neglected. I admit that Bush's foreign policy team hasn't been the most successfull at cultivating good relationships with other countries, but at least they know he'll stand up for what he believes, and that he won't give in just because someone might not like his decision. If we were to be more worried about whether or not people liked us, than we'd just have to have the U.N. govern us (as if they could ever agree on anything).
donalcallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 03:26 PM   #100
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Point 1

"If you really would rather have a $200 billion bigger budget instead of avoiding another major terrorist attack" By saying that you are saying that the $200 billion we are spending in Iraq will avoid another terrorist attack.

Thus you made that connection and I didn't have to put words in your mouth. Do you think before you type>
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote