Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 09-12-2003, 03:52 AM   #61
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Hayden replica

Kinda funny that the year they come out with the Hayden replica is the year he isn't riding one.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2003, 07:38 AM   #62
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: CBR1000RR Intro

"While the 600RR was less powerful and heavier it was the decision of many publications (not all of them) that the 600RR was the best of the mid-weights."

Not in the US they didn't. Nobody but Motorcyclist picked it as best. The rest picked Yamaha or Kawasaki.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:32 AM   #63
davoduc
Founding Member

I agree that there is no shortage of marketing going on (under-seat pipes for everyone!), but if you're into hp which it seems EVERYBODY is, the new R1 is a lttle more than .001% better. They seem like computer companies in that they sell a little more new technology every year, though.

I had an '01 R1 and it had more hp than I needed, but maybe the guys that race Extreme and AMA Superbike can use it. I keep waiting for a new twin or v-four supersport to come out, but I probably won't be able to afford it.
davoduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:13 AM   #64
f4ik9
Founding Member

Have you ridden one? Didn't think so.
f4ik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:15 AM   #65
tkarp
Founding Member

I feel your pain. I own a 954 and love it, but I got sick of hearing it bashed in the media as it had dull styling, lack of power etc. (none of which I agree with) Then, big bad Honda comes out with their "revolutionary" 600RR, and, when looking at the comparison between it and the F4i in Motorcyclist hard numbers (just one example of course), it has a few more horsepower, but is heavier and slower in the 1/4mi. I don't ride on the track, so that extra weight and lack of acceleration really do matter to me. I don't care that the extra heft becomes unnoticable on the track...I'm never on the damn thing. Anyway, my point is, Honda seems to aim for the competitions prior models, never to set the standard like they used to. I guess it comes down to sales numbers which are apparently good enough. But to us freaks who really do care about how bikes rate vs. their competition, Honda has come up short. There, I feel better now.
tkarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:18 AM   #66
tkarp
Founding Member

Yeah, no screwing of any pooches in Michigan.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:21 AM   #67
tkarp
Founding Member

Uhhh....what exactly did Mr. Barnum say again?
Old 09-13-2003, 03:27 AM   #68
tkarp
Founding Member

Have you ever seen a 999 in person? The pictures were awful in my opinion too, but I saw on in the flesh at a dealership and it's actually pretty damn sexy. Just curious. That may also apply to this bike. Not so great in photos, but maybe in person it will be outstanding. Or maybe it will be as boring as I'm expecting!
Old 09-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #69
bidwell
Registered Member

I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions about the Honda's performance but from a visual standpoint it's ***** ugly. IMHO the new R1 and the ZX10 is where it will be at for liter bikes next year. Historically Yamaha does a better job sorting out the suspension than Kawazaki so right now I'm leaning toward the R1. Fit and finish are generally better as well, plus the R1 is simply stunning to look at!
bidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 02:35 PM   #70
wrecks
Founding Member

yes I went to their demo day. The damn thing tries pop up in turns and runs out of steam at 6k when my vfr is starting to really come alive. It's a bunch of useless gimmicks... gas in the frame spars? Just de-centralizes mass. Oil in the swingarm? All that does is increase unsprung weight. Looks nice on paper but not that exciting to ride. Give it something other than a rattle-trap, oil-leaking, parts-shedding pile of crap Harley motor and it would almost be worth riding.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote