Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 12-22-2000, 03:17 AM   #21
CBRBrutha
Registered Member

Default Re: Year 2001 Honda CBR600F4i Reader Feedback

I will agree that for obvious reasons a Ninja 250 will not beat a 600 in a straight line, take them to where it counts: the twisties, and skill will be the deciding factor in who emerges first.
CBRBrutha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2000, 08:15 AM   #22
CBRBrutha
Registered Member

Hey bro, thanks for the backup on the 250 comments I was malin' before. I do hvae one question though. When I bought my '99 F4, I noticed no HUGE torque drop at the well-known 5500rpm mark. I also didn't notice this on my friend's 2000, which, as you know, is the exact same machine. So what is it with all these people who complain of the torque drop. I thought it was the torquiest 600 out there. I had been on all the others previously, save for the Triumph POS. I loved the torque, and when I put my race exhaust system and jet kit it REALLY screamed. Any insight...???
CBRBrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2000, 07:28 AM   #23
ZR-7
Founding Member

I've got to agree with you 100%. This is the reason why I ride a Kawasaki ZR-7. I ride 100% of the time on the street.

Philip

'00 ZR-7
ZR-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2000, 11:07 AM   #24
Pacer
Founding Member

Default Re: way to go

Who said anything about being popular. When I ride my KX I don't think the desert cares what I look like. Who cares what you think, if it puts a smile on my face leave me alone. I don't care what you do, and you shouldn't care what I do. Though, I do own a sweet pair of SMP riding pants. Maybe the desert does agree with me, I am sexy.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2000, 11:11 AM   #25
Pacer
Founding Member

Default Re: way to go

By the way if your not an amateur I would like to know who you are. Can I have your autograph. I will put it in my collection next to the ones of Aron Yates, Travis Pastrana, Doug Polen, etc.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 07:59 AM   #26
bilbo
Registered Member

If you take equally skilled riders, one on a 250 and one on a 600, the guy on the 600 will almost always win, twisties or straightaways, except may on some extremely twisty slow section of road. However, the fact is that most 600 sportbike owners ride so far below the ability of their bikes, that any decent clubracer could beat them on a twisty road on a 250.
bilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2000, 12:26 PM   #27
Caston
Founding Member

Okay...enough is enough. This is getting to be like watching kindergarten kids at recess bantering back and fourth about "my dad can beat up your dad". It's so very easy for you to talk trash and post it anonymously, isn't it? That way you don't have to know anything, and no one can call you on it.

First, about the constant accusations of how the cosmetics of the F4i have been stolen from the R's and the Z's. Do yourselves a favor and go find yourselves a picture of the Honda VFR Intercepter. Look at the front fairing, since 1998. Look familiar? The ZX's had no front fairing that looked like that in '98. There was no such thing as an R1, R6 in 1998. Honda did not rip-off anything from anyone. They had the wasp front fairing on the intercepter and expanded on it. You're getting annoying.

Next, let's talk about performance. Listen, children...Kent and his associates can do things with these machines that you can not. When you see a number in a magazine, you come out and say, "My bike can do such and such in so many seconds, and yours can't." No no. The right rider on the same model bike as you have can do that in that time. Not the bike....and not you. The bike just sits there. The bike can not do anything. You can not make the machine perform anywhere near what you read about...and definitely nowhere near what the machine can handle.

You buy the bike that has the best numbers at the time you are ready to buy, and some insurance guy foolishly signs you up. You don't think about the real world. You don't think about practical power bands, you just want to look cool. You don't consider comfort, you are too busy looking for an obnoxious helmet. You go out and get race compound tires, not knowing that street compounds have better traction at lower (non racing) temperatures. You spend your money on an after market exhaust of which you will never use the 6 extra horsepower, instead of taking a class and learning how not to dump your bike when you have to slow down suddenly in a turn. The only leather you wear when riding is a belt. You're the one who dropped the Ducati 748 on the floor at the motorcycle show last year, because you didn't know the kick stand retracts when you stand the bike up. Your chain breaks after 6 months, because you don't know that you have to keep it lubed. You ride around in a Turn One t-shirt and shorts, elbows locked, toes pointing to the ground. You crash and blame the bike. You know who you are, and so do we. You have no business riding machines like these if you don't know what you are doing. Pick up a standard, go to MSF, follow that up with a riding school, and learn. The numbers in the magazines have nothing to do with you. There is a name for the species that does what they see, without thinking. They are called monkeys.

We don't expect you to change...but that is not as bad as it would seem. You will go out and buy a liter bike as your first machine. You will either break it by neglecting the maintenance, or you will wreck it. Either way, you will be off the streets, which is what we want...so go pick the shiny one with the big number on the fairing, calamari boys.
Caston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 07:26 AM   #28
CyberJonesy
Founding Member

Default No , you gimme a break!

Hey Yamaha does'nt only make r6's buddy! They also have an all around street bike called the YZF600R that compares to an f4 for the street. No junk here , reliable , comfortable and delta box frame looks quite nicer then boring honda wings! IF only honda could make a racing version of it's 600 class then maybe peoples would stop yawning at the little street bike.
CyberJonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 11:57 AM   #29
HondaF3
Founding Member

Default Having thrown a leg over one, reflections within

The Honda CBR sure has evolved and brought some things full circle with the bike. It used to be the RR was the racer and the F2 was the all around street bike, now it appears it may have reversed.

I spent about an hour jumping between the 2001 929 RR and the F4i in the dealer and would like to share my opinion. Having 49k miles on two F3s and 15k on a F2, I have a well developed background with the CBR.

The F4i has made quite a few good changes, but a few bad. I am 5'10", 180 lbs and found the bike to be less comfortable. I commute 130 miles a day, as well as spend a few hours on weekends riding twisties, so comfort is just as important as speed. The increased tank size forces your legs out, like the old RRs used to do. The seat height has also been raised and the seat MUCH firmer. If you are comfortable and flat-footed (legs fully extended) on the 929RR, you will be on tippy toes and find the seat harsh on the F4i. They've also changed the tire sizes. The F3's 120/60 & 160/60 tire combo is easy to find in stock and the new sizes may not be as prevelant. I'm speculating here, but since I buy new tires every 1.5 months, it's important.

The good news is the bike has taken cues from both the Superbikes and the larger sportbikes. The front end does look aggressive like an R1 and actually makes the bike look larger and "faster" than the RR. The digital gauge with twin trip meters is really cool too, although, I wish they'd also have added a fuel gauge. I thing the R6 offers one. Anyway, the other features added and changed on the F4 are awesome. They've changed all (or more specifically, the few) complaints I had with my F3. It's just too bad they made the bike uncomfortable.

I applied for a loan for the F4i after reading this article, but after spending some time on one, I am going to kick in the extra $$ and get a 929RR.

Just my .02. If ya want to ask me any ?s about the bike, email me at hondaf3@nospam.home.com (remove the nospam).
HondaF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 04:21 AM   #30
Trax
Founding Member

Rip off the looks of R6/ZX6R ?? Have you ever seen the NSR125 headlights?
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote