Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 06-21-2003, 04:42 AM   #11
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: ST 1300 problems?

Maybe MO should test those bikes, I heard they were pretty good
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2003, 04:46 AM   #12
sarnali
Founding Member

" Our motorcycles are of a superior design, therefore such problems do not exist. You must learn to ride them properly",, or so I hear.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 06:56 AM   #13
valkmaster
Founding Member

This is a seperate issue from last year when Honda delayed the delivery of all ST1300s. Since April 2003 Honda has AGAIN stopped all deliveries of the ST1300ABS but keeps it very quite as of the reasons motivating the decision. One of the possible issue again is the high speed stability. I heard that the deliveries have re-started again a few days ago but no confirmation....

Now we have the GL1800 plagued with overheating problems, the ST1300 with high speed stability and heat management issues and of course the $27k plastic "custom" Valkyrie Rune. Way to go Honda !

valkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 05:23 PM   #14
r1derbike
Founding Member

The major problem Honda has with the ST1300, is made by Yamaha...the FJR1300!

Heh-heh-heh.

Outta here...Charles

Use link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja:

http://www.photoaccess.com/share/gue...19C25C12&cb=PA
\'00 RWB R1 #34...\'cuz there can only be THE ONE.
\'85 ZX900 Ninja...the mutha\' of all modern sportbikes.
\'03 FJR 1300...\'cuz ya\' gotta keep HER happy.
Click on link below to see my R1, FJR, and Ninja.
http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp?ID=A0B19
r1derbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 08:45 PM   #15
Van
Founding Member

Near as I can tell, being a Honda dealer myself, Honda didn't stop ST1300 deliveries in April of this year.

We received the units we were supposed to receive, and so did all the other dealers. There simply weren't any further scheduled deliveries by the time April rolled around. The allocations had already all been filled.

As for the Gold Wing overheating, well, yes and no.

Yes, Honda's instituted a stupid sticker on the instruments telling customers not to operate the bike in hot weather in first gear at 10 mph, to speed up or change up gears in that situation.

However, it's not really an overheating problem. It's a coolant temp needle display problem.

What's happening is that the bike's actual engine temp remains just fine, but the needle's misreading, which is alarming customers.

Regardless, yes, it needs to be addressed.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 10:09 PM   #16
chris788
Founding Member

Default Re: ST 1300 problems? TURBULENCE

LMAO!
chris788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 02:12 AM   #17
Lowrez
Founding Member

Since you obviously know a great deal about the myths and truths surrounding the current Hondas, do you have any other comments on the ST1300, GL1800, or VFR? I've been hearing people bash all three as not living up to normal Honda quality with heat, vibration, and electrical issues. However, we all know that a certain element likes to complain about everything.

Maybe I can put it this way, would you recommend these bikes to a friend or would you point them towards different bikes?
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 03:40 AM   #18
guyviger
Founding Member

I own an ST1300A. It NEVER weave, (I took it often over 200kmhr, but never over 220 kmhr).

The heat is not as bas as most other motorcycles around. It takes an idiot to think that when riding in 95 degrees heat wave you'll feel cool ! Buy a air conditioned ******* cage !

I think that besides beginners and ex-cagers,

the *****ing and flaming comes mostly for the ugly Yam and ***** poor BM envious owners.
guyviger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 04:56 AM   #19
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

I got my masters in Industrial Engineering from Purdue University and we had a Professor that wrote a book called the Myth of Japenese quality of which he gave each of us a signed copy. Anyway, he lived over their for a year or so and said they were very prejudiced against all non-Japanese. He also said that their wash machines at that time didn't even have an agitator only a spin cycle. They had to hand agitate then let the machine do the rest (real strange). They gave him a presentation and the overhead projector wouldn't aim properly at the screen so they had a guy hold the projector arm in place with a string but would not acknowledge that there was any problem. The Professor claimed that they refuse to confront any problem like we would (head on). A problem like that is not to be talked about out loud because it would be unseemingly to do so. The professor had his family with him and said that his children were treated like 10th class citizens by the other children while they were in Japan. The other thing I remember him telling us was that Americans that own the cars have bought into the Myth of Japanese quality to such an extent that problems they would normally own up to about an American made vehicle they would never mention about a Japanese vehicle. The problem is therebut they put up with it because it is Japanese and therefore does not exist. Now I've had plenty of Japanese made bikes in my time and they have had plenty of problems and I always just fixed them but I bought a Harley in 97' and it is not perfect but it sure as heck has held up better than any of my other bikes. But then it cost way more than any of my other bikes.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 05:46 AM   #20
JALacroix
Founding Member

I certainly believe that your post has merit. However, having said that, some Japanese cars have proven to be very reliable over time. These statistics are closely monitored by a number of surveys. The thing is that Honda and Toyota are, I believe, the only Japanese manufacturers whose cars are proven to be above average with regard to reliability. I have owned a number of Subarus (love the AWD in the northeast) and have had almost no problems with any of them, so I'm surprised that Subaru isn't up there as well. Anyway, what I can say is that any VW I've owned (including a Passat and a EuroVan, both of which are made in Germany) has given me major headaches. Some much for German engineering.

With regard to motorcycles, I've owned 3 ('98 ZX6R, '00 YZF600R, and now an '02 VTR1000F) and have never had problems with any of them. Then again, I don't keep bikes too long. Well, the ZX was stolen so I didn't really have anything to do with that. What I do know is that there have been major problems with Buells.
JALacroix is offline   Reply With Quote