Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 05-10-2003, 07:11 AM   #11
sjriott
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Deal.....

Dry weight is 120 kg = 264 lbs.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #12
Pacer
Founding Member

Default Re: CR450F... it will be mine, oh yes... it will be mine...

I agree with everything except the bike. What about a KTM525. I would chose that bike just for the horses, but it can also have electric start. Has anyone heard about KTM building a 950 v-twin that leans towards a dirtbike seating position. I read something about it on Motorcycledaily a while ago. Now that would make me think about a second streetbike. It would pretty much be like an update to the orginal Buell S1 lightining, but with a good motor.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 01:35 AM   #13
RRocket
Founding Member

Default How are they?

Gabe,

I see the Derbi 50cc motard for sale frequently. How are they? Give us a review!!
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 04:36 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Keep your nose to the grindstone

Study hard, always make the extra effort, overacheive.

And when the government is done taking away 60% of your earnings, you still won't be able to afford it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #15
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: How are they?

They rock! At $2599, they are the cheapest street-legal bike around. Not really an only bike, as it will just do 55-60 mph stock, and is pretty uncomfortable with stiff springs and high, hard seat, but with sticky tires, 320mm disc brakes (with steel lines) and a sophisticated liquid-cooled two-smoker motor, you can get pretty silly and have a blast riding around town.

Think of it as a very fun alternative to a scooter or as a very cheap racer/track bike (there are 100+ go-kart tracks in CA alone!). Why racers buy fruity Yamaha Vinos and Nathan Lane edition Metropolitans as pit bikes is beyond me when something like this is so much more fun!

Check out our website, www.sfmoto.com for more info...I'll post a review there soon, including a desctription of 80mph nuttiness with my 70cc hop-up kit!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 05:48 PM   #16
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Yet another bike we don't get, 250cc Honda motard

prolyl too much hassle. get a crf450 and make your own!! go to www.thumpertalk.com for details
Old 05-12-2003, 12:19 AM   #17
gdrazek
Founding Member

None of the cool small displacement motorcycles make it to the US. I live in Russia and saw a moto mag with a picture of the new Honda XL230. Take a look:

http://www.honda.co.jp/motor-lineup/xl230/index.html

I would love one of those! What a great bike to fool around on in the city and on short trips to the store. And I'm sure it's dirt cheap.

And here's another one:

http://www.honda.co.jp/motor-lineup/vtr/

what a cool bike.

The problem is we will never get these motorcycles in the US. Instead, we get 10 year old katana 600s for "entry level" motorcycles.

(I give special thanks for this to consumers who call the 883 Sportster a small bike and the moto journalists who laud the new Kawasaki 636 as a really good 600.)
gdrazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 04:03 AM   #18
webdev511
Registered Member

Default Now that's a nice 250...

I would like to give that one a whirl in the AFM 250 class for sure.....
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 08:53 AM   #19
twister299
Founding Member

Wow, I was a Motard pioneer...

I put street tires and lowered shocks on my Suzuki 250 enduro way back in 1979. I was slipping and sliding all over the road in the rain riding to school everyday in Florida so Why not?? Gave me great road manners an was much easier to ride on pavement than Nobbies.

Via la Pioneers
twister299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 07:09 AM   #20
bigjames
Premium Member

buy an XR250, buy a lowering kit and 17 inch wheels. While your at it, upgrade the brakes.

now the tricky part, live in a state that is not completely anal about bike registrations (like just about everywhere but California)

viola, you have an XR250 Motard customized by yourself. Remember when buying a stocker and doing things to it was fun...
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote