Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 04-13-2003, 02:08 PM   #31
merv
Founding Member

Default Re: CB 1300: another cool bike that won't be coming to the USA

Down here in New Zealand no-one seemed to want this model. There is one for sale at http://www.ericksenhonda.co.nz/Used.html called the 1999 ex Honda NZ demonstrator and as far as I know they never bothered importing any more. Maybe the later models are better but they weren't brought here and there seems to be no demand.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2003, 03:09 PM   #32
runner00
Founding Member

Now thats a great street bike. I like to know more.

I always thought the standard configuration had a lot going for it. Just make sure you got fully adjustable suspension. I think the only reason most people don't like standards is because they are always under in hp and short changed in the suspension. Don't forget the proper brakes to match the hp and I think the bike will sell unless they make the seat height > 31 inches. The seat height should be adjustable from 28 to 31 inches.

If you do this....they will come.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 04:08 PM   #33
shaneking
Founding Member

I'd love to see all of the European market bikes come over here, this one included but I don't think that they would sell. When I was selling bikes for a living I would try my darndest to get people to look at naked bikes, to no avail. In this country, at least in the DC area there are only two kinds of bike, sport and cruiser. Because we all know that a bike isn't fast unless it's covered in plastic and uncomfortable. And a bike can't be comfortable unless it is a v-twin that makes you sit back and spread your legs like you are at the OB-GYN. Everybody knows this.

What I'd really like to see brought over is more of the 'beginner friendly' bikes like the CB500 and Fazer 600. There is an appaling lack of beginner bikes available in this country.
shaneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 04:10 PM   #34
hiestand
Founding Member

The bike looks fantastic. Living here in Japan has granted me the opportunity to see one first hand. Only thing I can discredit is the horsepower figures. Those here in Japan are limited to 97 hp but I hear that can easily be fixed.
hiestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 07:42 PM   #35
Brycejr
Registered Member

Whatever happened to the "Naked" Blackbird? I seem to remember seeing an article about it a couple of years ago. I think it was called the X Eleven? What were its sales, in the other than USA market?

Yes, the CB1300 & the GSX1400 are cool looking. But their performance stats don't measure up to bikes already sold in the USA. Those stats are what make americans open up their checkbooks. Thats why you won't see either bike here in the USA.
Brycejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:25 PM   #36
sqidbait
Founding Member

The X11 didn't sell very well. Performance notwithstanding, it was a pretty ugly bike.

http://mysite.freeserve.com/X11/page1.html

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:35 PM   #37
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

Default These have been out in Japan for at least a couple years

These have been out in Japan for at least a couple years. The used market is full of CB 1300 & CB 1000 and they don't seem to hold value as well as the ZRX or even the Zephers. They have fairly high seats, so it's funny to see the Japanese tip toe on them at stops. I don't know any Americans who have one. Americans here are like Americans in the states, they want a Harley ( or clone) or a sportbike (except geeks like me who like BMW). And that is why you don't see the CB 1300 in the US. Its not Honda's fault. Its the narrow-mindedness of the US market that won't accept a bike that can't be easily pigeon holed into the cruiser or sportbike category.

When I lived in Florida, I had a 1100 Zepher for a couple years. Here is a typical conversation I used to have with other riders who were curious about my bike:

Other Motorcyclists: What's that, a cruiser or a sport bike? It kind of looks like a sport bike but it doesn't have a fairing..

Me: Its a standard. All japanese bikes used to look like this a few years ago.

Other Motorcyclists: Blank stare..... what?
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 04:11 AM   #38
theinnkeeper
Founding Member

Harley clone? what are you talking about. this bike is a standard. a jap design from a not all that long era. for people who use their bike for daily use these bikes do much better then you usual plasic toy.

theinnkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 05:34 AM   #39
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"Who said the only designs that will sell are full-on sportbikes and Panhead era clones?"

Unfortunately we do, since that's what we buy. They've offered numerous bikes like these

in the past and have been burned. Do you really expect them to keep reaching back into the fire?
Old 04-14-2003, 05:37 AM   #40
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Good idea. Disband their whole dealer network to satisfy those one or two thousand customers.