Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 04-12-2003, 06:10 PM   #11
daithi
Founding Member

Default Re: CB 1300: another cool bike that won't be coming to the USA

Yeah, This is a nice new bike, available as we speak in a cool white and red paint scheme in the UK at least. It was tested in MCN last week in england, and they said that it handled good, has 114 crankshaft hp and 86lbs of torque. Brakes were rated good and it is dead smooth. Right up there with the suzi1400, the ZRX1200 and the XJ1300. We europeans get alll the choices. I myself am totally happy with my lime green 2001 ZRX 1200 and a 1991 FJ1200abs model. There was also a CBR1300 which followed the Big One and which has not been mentioned. It was a japan only model though they were imported into the British Isles, thats England and Ireland to all you folks out there. Ride safe.
daithi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2003, 07:12 PM   #12
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Agree with you, love my REX. It does look interesting though. I'd want mine without the chrome on the speedo or radiator and solid red of course. I thoight I heard that these bikes were power restricted electronically. Lose that as well, charge a fair price and I'd want one.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 07:19 PM   #13
drthompson65
Founding Member

I think Japan has to get over this "it won't sell here" BS and start shipping bikes over! Look at the FJR1300. You can't even find one on the show room floor.
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 07:40 PM   #14
Betamax
Founding Member

I understand that you're making a generalization here...and it's true, in general, but it's not true in every case and it's certainly not true for most of the MOfo's here.

Someone above mentioned the ZRX; it's a good example: a big standard with big power and a great bike all round BUT it's not a huge seller.

People in general (not MOfo's) want big cubic engines, but they also have enough self-awareness to realize that their average abilities and reflexes can't handle supersport power, so they buy big cruisers instead.

Is that a bad thing? I dunno...
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 09:25 PM   #15
crazybike_37
Founding Member

Amen to that, my brotha.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:33 PM   #16
KPaulCook
Banned

Default More evidence that Sport V-Twins days are numbered. Ducati to market V-4

V-4s coming from Ducati click here

Superbike V-4 on its way as well.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 03:37 AM   #17
ducfast
Founding Member

Based on the above, I went down to my local Japanese shop I like to peruse and sat on one.

In my very humble MOpinion.............

It's a truck! I own an FZ1 and I can tell you this CB1300 is a TRUCK!

I test rode a (big one) 2000 model and remember transitioning into the corners wondering if the rear would follow the front!

Despite the advertised weight loss, if you like your asphalt to change direction every few feet, you don't want this bike.

On the other hand, if you want a standard to mirror the handling of a V-max, (without the boost) this is your bike.

I think most of you would not spend the money.

I did ask for a test ride. Maybe I'll change my mind?

Humbly submitted,

Craig

ducfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:52 AM   #18
DataDan
Founding Member

Here's why Honda's early '90s CB1000 didn't sell in the US: It was underpowered and overweight. At 575lb (tank full) with less than 100hp, it ran the quarter-mile in the mid 11s, a bit slower than the CBR600F2, vastly slower than the literbike king, the ZX-11.

Here's why the CB1300 wouldn't sell in the US today: It's underpowered and overweight. Honda UK gives power at 85kW, which translates to about 100 rear-wheel horsepower, and weight of 224kg dry, or 550lb with a full tank. Like its predecessor, quarter-mile time will be in the mid-11s, which would draw a deafening chorus of yawns from US magazines.

I like comfortable, unfaired motorcycles even if they don't go real fast. Yesterday, I rode my wheezy 40hp Hawk GT with a group of much faster bikes and had a ball keeping up with them--at least in the twisty bits. But not enough motorcycle buyers in the US do, dooming them to a small, unprofitable market niche.
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:46 AM   #19
layback
Founding Member

I am planning on buying a new bike next year and if I was going to use it for street riding only, this bike looks like it could be the one. Really, I can't see how people that don't race or at least do track days buy full on sportbikes. Not the most comfortable bikes around, ya know? For street use a standard/naked type bike would be the way to go and this honda looks to be "da bomb".

I can't see why Honda won't bring it here, don't make sense.
layback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:47 AM   #20
webdev511
Registered Member

Default It won't Sell Here...

I agree, now send over the Damn 400cc Sport Bikes again!!!
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote