Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 12-04-2000, 03:14 PM   #11
fz1
Founding Member

Default Re: Amen to naked V-twin sport-standard!!!

Just placed my deposit on an FZ1(one of two allocated to my local dealer!) as Honda refuses to address this market segment. I and others I talk to would snap up a Varadero and/or super standard made by Honda in a second...if only...
fz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2000, 03:40 PM   #12
Catt
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Valkyie on Last Leg

Why wouldn't Honda discontinue the Valk? The engine is 13 years old. The potential for an 1800 based replacement is high. The cost of continued production of the 1500 is even higher.

They've already replaced the GL1500 with the 1800 and the PC800 with the Deauville in Europe. They'll replace the ST with the X-Wing (production version).

Discussion of Honda's demise is way premature. Honda is the largest producer of internal combustion engines in the world. They are in the forefront of hydrogen fuell cell development. They are among the lowest cost producers of vehicles among all manufacturers. And, yes, they are a buyout target. Buy the stock before it takes off again.
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 04:55 PM   #13
VDSANTAM
Founding Member

Blip,

The PC was also imported for the 1990 year. I know because I owned two of them . Great bikes. Honda skipped importing them until 1994. Now they have dropped production altogether. Never did sell well but have a very loyal following. I have a 1998 ACE Tourer wich is a very good bike that Honda can't move. The Valk is also a great machine but sales are very poor.

It seems that in the motorcycle business quality and function doesn't mean anything. Just because a particular model of bike doesn't sell doesn't mean that it is not a superior product.

IMHO, there are too many bikes on the new and used market and too few buyers. I have four bikes myself and would like to buy a new Harley but my local dealer is still getting 3-5k over MSRP.

The Honda and the Kawasaki dealers can't give their superior and less expensive bikes away. Go figure.
VDSANTAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2000, 05:25 PM   #14
ValkPilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Valkyie on Last Leg (Not Mine)

Whether or not the Valk stays or goes, I can tell you that I'm really glad I have mine. My fat lady is a 2000 Interstate. This is truly a great machine. I have never had any trouble with this bike, and don't anticipate any problems in say, the next 2 or three hundred thousand miles. If they discontinue production, I guess I will have a collectors piece worth a great deal more than it already is. ValkPilot
ValkPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2000, 12:26 AM   #15
JSK
Founding Member

If anyone questions why Honda would shelve the Valkrie, all they have to do is look at the sales figures. Regardless of how beautiful, fun, or competent a machine may be, if there are not enough of them rolling out the door...

Many excellent motorcycles have died prematurely this way. I know I see at least 20 new CBR600's for every Valkrie on the road.
JSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2000, 07:46 AM   #16
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: wrong on gas mileage......

A_S, I owned a '99 Tourer, put over 8,000 miles in six months on it before I had it up for sale. ONE of the reasons I sold it was how thirsty it was. On those "spirited" sunday rides I would get around 25mpg. Sorry, A_S but that su*#$! I was swithing to reserve at just under 100 miles. At highway speeds 65 - 80 mph I would get better. I think my best was 40 mpg but that was on a backroads trip in south Texas that kept speeds below 65. Now as a rider of the Valk you know that at those speeds she's just screeming at you to OPEN HER UP and it really isn't that much fun. She LOVES 85 mph. I got comfortable at 125 here in Oklahoma. Lots of staight roads.

Between my wife and myself we have four bikes in the garage and to keep from starting any "mine is better than yours" trash, it isn't important what I replaced the Valk with but I will say it averages 45 mpg and it doesn't show the low fuel light 'till about 180 mi.

RIDE ON!

Cages are for Hamsters.

www.ridetowork.org
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2000, 07:01 AM   #17
caderider
Registered Member

Along with fixing the bike as contracted under warranty, I believe that about says it.
Old 12-06-2000, 08:30 PM   #18
dewey
Founding Member

Honda is just competing against themselves,with the bikes they make.kaw,suz,yam tried to make wings,no contest.the new wing 1832 might run a well as the valk,they claim the vtx shadow will walk away from the valk in a roll on.who cares,i had a v65 which was the fastest production bike out at the time.it lasted 3yr,but i keep it 14yr,traded it in and only lost 1000 bucks.i will do the same with the valk,i never had a bike turn heads like this one.Hondas lost.
dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 03:09 PM   #19
iskjone
Founding Member

Might be a blast to ride...might be a awesome (but strange) heavyweight cruiser...but just too different for the market. I love all bikes and especially Hondas but the Valkyie just doesn't move me, and apparently it doesn't make many other riders reach for their checkbooks either. I have real empathy for the people who dared to be different 'cause I don't feel that Honda will suck up the loss and continue to build Valks.
iskjone is offline   Reply With Quote