Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 02-16-2003, 06:55 PM   #11
wheat
Founding Member

Default Re: Ergonomics. VFR 800 VS Yam. FZ1

Ironcially, my last bike was a VFR800 and my current is a FZ-1.

The VFR was comfy enough I suppose, though if you have a gut the tank will poke at you until you either get rid of the gut, or sell it and buy an FZ-1.

If you get my meaning.
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2003, 07:18 PM   #12
nitrofly
Founding Member

Over 6 foot but enjoy a sporting approach to motorcycling? Don't be forced to weigh comfort for longer riders over sporting ability. Get yourself an Aprilia Futura and never look back!
Old 02-16-2003, 07:30 PM   #13
ssmiley
Founding Member

Default And now to Muddy the Waters

Sprint ST - same basic ergos as the VFR with another 1.5" rise on the bars (like factory Heli's). Combined with a decent factory seat and a low vibration engine, guys tend to rack up the mileage on these babies.

Z1000 – Surprise, Surprise – High seat height, but man does this thing feel agile and mobile. Practically disappears beneath you ala Honda 919. Orange is hot, baby!
ssmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 08:00 PM   #14
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Er, Don't know what year your friends VFR's are, but after the initial check, my VFR never has another scheduled valve adjustment. Maybe a big selling point, maybe not.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 08:04 PM   #15
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

I'm 6' 3" and fit my bike just fine. Last march took a trip from Seattle to Las Vegas in 3 days, was long, but fun. I wasn't uncomfortable except for the cold. I do have a Corbin saddle, Helibars and was wearing kevlar winter/wet pants which added a little cushion, still was a long, fun ride. Even with a 36" inseam the VFR doesn't feel short to me, but I'm young and can still touch my toes, so maybe I don't fit the "mature rider" demographic.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:18 AM   #16
dborla01
Founding Member

Thanks for the input. To further confuse the issue, I also am considering the Suzuki Bandit 1200S and Katana 750. Both are relatively cheap and both are more stretched out. Any feedback would be appreciated. Darrell.
dborla01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 01:43 AM   #17
Thurston_Wilkes
Founding Member

With GenMar risers and a Corbin seat, the ergos of the VFR are perfect. I am 6'2" and 61 years of age and 500 mile trips are comfortable from start to finish. The VFR is pure quality also.
Thurston_Wilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:39 AM   #18
rvfrules
Founding Member

The VFR goes better in the twisty bits when you start pushing the pace. My hard-riding buddy complains about his Fazer grounding down hard parts in corners. No such problems on the VFR.
rvfrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:06 AM   #19
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: And now to Muddy the Waters

Oh man!, you have a z1000?.. I haven't even seen one yet in person! How is it?... please give details. This bike is very close to convincing me that I, somehow, someway... -need- a 6th motorcycle!
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 07:15 AM   #20
Betamax
Founding Member

LOL. That's an excellent point, and very well put, thanks.

I just read an online comparo of ABS brakes vs. regular brakes. On dry pavement, experienced riders stopped in about the same distance on bikes with either ABS or regular brakes (of course, this was a test, not a real-life emergency situation).

But, on wet pavement at 60 mph, riders with ABS consistently stopped in 200 feet while riders without ABS stopped in 320+ feet, an average of 120 feet further! Even the riders involved were surprised by the results.

Given those numbers and your advice, I'm now leaning toward the VFR w/ ABS....
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote