Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 12-09-2002, 11:14 AM   #11
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Homestead GP

There are a few reasons that they are looking at homestead.

1) European tourist are hear now, and europeans follow the sport more than we do.

2) The power of promotion that the whole Bill France/Nascar/racetrack conglomeration

Basically the course is OK but not up to the standards of GP racing. I DOn't have any idea how they are going to eliminate all the walls and bad runoff areas to make the GP racers happy.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2002, 11:20 AM   #12
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: MotoGP in the USA

I had heard that also. I don't claim to be any expert on this, but my first reaction is that if FIM terminated their ralationship with AMA, they would try affiliate with someone else for the US (I am thinking CCS, which I think is somehow tied with Clear Channel).

I have not seen much commentary about this pi$$ing match, but I suspect it is an outgrowth of the (ultimately aborted) attempt by AMA Pro Racing to kick Clear Channel out of AMA Supercross earlier this year.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:27 PM   #13
Sean_Burke
Founding Member

Default Re: Hayden gets wet at HRC Winter Test

I can not envision any FIM-sanctioned series going to Homestead. I have not been to the track in person, but the races I have seen broadcast from there did not make me believe that it could host a FIM event. The large runoff areas the FIM seeks are at odds with the concrete-lined walls of most US (read NASCAR / CART / IRL) courses.

There are three existing US tracks that could stand a chance of hosting a FIM event - Laguna Seca in California, Road America in Wisconsin, or Road Atlanta, which is in the sticks, quite a ways from Atlanta. Of these three, only Laguna has a "class A" homologation.

There was some talk a few years ago of FIM homologation of Road America, and I think that the financial burden was too great for the track owner.

Road Atlanta is mentioned as a site for a GP / WSB round, but I don't know if the track has considered hosting a FIM event.

Both Road Atlanta and Road America are fine circuits, but I believe that both would require a lot of investment to bring them up to FIM standards. When track owners consider the great amount of cash needed to get an FIM event, and the number of years it would take to amortize that cost, most of them give it a pass.

I have heard great things about Barber, and I believe that it represents the best shot at being an "east coast" FIM track.

Sean_Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:46 PM   #14
rsheidler
Founding Member

I also have not been there, but like you, based on TV coverage, it looks like it could be tough. Supposedly Mick Doohen checked out the course and several others and recommended it.

My understanding is that WSB is also sanctioned under FIM, and from my (admittedly cursory) review of the standards, I think that the track standards are the same for WSB as for GP -- which should mean that Laguna technically qualifies. Whether it meets the standard that GP riders WANT is another thing.

From what I have heard and seen (in pictures only, unfortunately) I agree that Barber may be the best shot.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:43 AM   #15
KPaulCook
Banned

Check out Edwards interview

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/09dec...nedwards1.html
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 02:31 PM   #16
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: MotoGP in the USA

I agree fully about purpose built road courses compared to infield courses -- I have seen bikes race at Las Vegas and Pikes Peak, as well as Sears Point and there is no comparison. For one thing, real race courses have elevation changes (riding up on the banking don't count) plus the atmosphere is all wrong on the NASCAR courses.