Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/)
-   -   And 2003 Testing Begins... (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/1446-2003-testing-begins.html)

DJS 11-05-2002 11:36 AM

Dang

I thought you guys had gotten ahold of some 2003 models to test. Reading about racing is cool but it's like reading playboy. I'd rather read about the things I actually have a chance of riding :).

So great MOridians, whens the test bike faerie pulling up to headquarters?

David

rsheidler 11-05-2002 11:45 AM

Re: AND 2003 TESTING BEGINS...

Per Roadracing world's post, Barros was riding Biaggi's old bike and Biaggi was riding Barros'

Interesting that Barros is already down to his last weekend qualifying time on the RCV, while Biaggi is 3/10s slower than Alex.

This suggests that the M1 must be at least the equal of the RCV and also that Barros is one hell of an adaptable rider -- look at how quick he got up to speed on the RCV, and now the M1. Possibly the best rider in the world at this moment?

S4_Daddio 11-05-2002 12:18 PM

Re: AND 2003 TESTING BEGINS...

"Possibly the best rider in the world at this moment?" (meaning Barros)

Doubt anyone here will argue with you...

Unfortunately we will have to wait all winter to find out for sure!

rsheidler 11-05-2002 12:33 PM

Unfortunately we will have to wait all winter to find out for sure!

Yeah, that really sucks!

HighsideHarry 11-05-2002 02:55 PM

Re: Dang

That's what I thought. When I saw that title, I said, "Oh cool. Now I'll find out if I screwed up by buying an '02 instead of an '03.

But nooooo......

Tim_White 11-06-2002 06:12 AM

Re: best rider in the world?

One should always take testing times with a grain of salt, but it's certainly true that Barros wasted little time in getting up to speed on the Honda 4-stroke. And he's quickly up to speed on the Yammie--impressive.

Actually, what impressed me most about Barros this year on the 4-stroke was not his ultimate pace but his race-long average pace. He won his first race on the thing, from the front, over Rossi, having never done a race distance. Very impressive. I'm sure Rossi is thankful Barros did not have the 4-stroke all year.

And I'm equally sure Barros will be considerably more competitive on the Yammie than Biaggi or Checa has been. Add to that Hayden on a RC-V and Hopkins on the big Suzuki and '03 looks like it will be a good year for MotoGP.

rsheidler 11-06-2002 06:47 AM

I agree that testing times should be taken somewhat with a grain of salt -- my real point was the same one you made -- that Barros was able to adapt to the RCV and win the first time out, and now appears to have gotten up to speed on the M1 very quickly.

When Yamaha let Colin slip away a few weeks back, I thought they were crazy, but now I see their reasoning.

Damn, I can't wait for next season!

Laramie 11-06-2002 08:26 AM

Re: Dang

Yep! I thought there was some to be had in the form of a real motorcycle I could buy kinda test. You know, some real meat to sink our "eye"teeth into, instead just some cornbeef hash (make that re-hash). I know there are plenty of readers' that like this stuff and that's cool, but there are numerous other sites that focus primarily on racing and reviews are secondary for them. Hope you guys can get some wheels to review soon. One would think that the manufacturers would be very anxious to get the word out on their new models and be climbing over one another to get reviewed first.

Quick aside: Anyone know more about the new 750 shown at Intermot by Guzzi?? Can't find anything about when, where , or if, it's going into production. This is the kinda stuff I'm interested in, me, me, me, can'tcha tell it's all about me. :)

brunt954 11-06-2002 09:08 PM

Keep in mind all the Barros has always been an acomplished 4 stroke rider. Biaggi and Sete are not really known for their 4 stroke ability. I honestly believe that biaggi is a better rider than Barros, and given Biaggi's position of developing the M1, I don't think that Barros would have been in second in the championship. Barros has been on the NSR for the last few years, and despite the odd showing of brilliance, has been less than memorable. Given what is undisputedly the best bike in the paddock (the RCV) he should have been running at the front. Yes, he beat rossi to the line twice, but rossi also beat him to the line twice as well.

And I'm sorry, but there is no way that Barros' showing at the end of the year can earn him the title of best rider in the world, given Rossi's season long dominance or Colin's amazing come back. I predict that Barros will have another mediocre season, with the odd splash of brilliance. I'll eat my words in 12 months if he's the champ.

rvscheidejr 11-07-2002 06:12 AM

The only way we'll really find out who the best rider in the world is is if Rossi switches bikes. The only way that's going to happen is if teammate Nicky Haden kicks the Doctor's butt in his debut MotoGP season next year. Honda has proved once again that the more you spend, the more you get.