Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 11-07-2002, 06:58 AM   #11
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: best rider in the world?

>>Barros has always been an acomplished 4 stroke rider<<

I am curious where he got that 4-stroke experience -- his race bio (at least the ones I found on-line) show him coming up from mopeds to 50s to 80s to 250 to 500gp. Perhaps he trains on a 4-stroke (as I understand Checa has done in the past)?

I can't dispute your characterization of Alex's career to date, and I agree that it is too soon to proclaim him as best in the world (I feel that Rossi most deserves that description). However, looking only at the the late season, after the swithch to 4-strokes, I would say that he has been every bit the equal of Rossi, and clearly better than Biaggi.

Of all the riders who switched to 4-strokes late in the season, only Barros and Kato were able to quickly become competitive -- the others were pretty unimpressive. For that matter, Biaggi was not all that impressive on the M1 early in the season -- and that is not all due to the Bike not being competitive, as Checa was often better. This may simply be that Barros and Kato are quicker at adapting to new bikes, rather than necessarily being better overall. For that, we must wait and see.

I'll stick my neck out and predict that Barros finishes ahead of Biaggi in the 2003 world championship -- not ready to say he will beat Rossi.

So when does the new season start?

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement