Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 08-08-2002, 03:50 PM   #1
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Japanese manufacturers = wimps

Is this the only way that the big 4 will get involved with the public lands debate?

The big 4 should be doing so much more.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2002, 04:21 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Japanese manufacturers = wimps

Most of Japan itself is closed to off-road vehicles. Much Japanese political involvement in the UN is on subjects like forcing gun control on the U.S. I'm not sure that their ham-handed involvement would do more good than harm.

They ARE good at stealing technology.

They caved on the 3-wheeler issue. Expect no more from them.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:41 AM   #3
fellswoop13
Founding Member

Default What is the deal with the public lands controversy?

Someone out there take the chance to make this honda press release actually worth something. What, in simple terms, is the deal with the "public lands controversy"?

Being a road rider only, from Massachusetts, I'm not up on the issue. I did see a report last night on the news that up in New Hampshire, there are so many ATVs buzzing around in the woods now (something like a 150% increase over the course of the 90's) that it's starting to cause problems/require law enforcement as little kiddies are taking themselves out by riding like idiots, and the few cops up there can't catch them, of course.

I take it people are trying to prevent "pristine wilderness" from being "overrun" by "hordes of buzzing, polluting ATVs". What are the sides on this issue?

Educate! Testify!

Thanks in advance
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 07:53 AM   #4
grover750
Founding Member

Default Re: What is the deal with the public lands controversy?

It's a big battle here in MN, also. I'm kind of torn on the issue, since I race motocross on private tracks, and have access to private land to ride four wheelers and my dirt bike. What about those who don't? I support ATV access to some public lands, but definetly not all. Is it the government's role to accomodate the large increase in ATV ownership by increasing the amount of public land available to ride on? I'm not sure it is. Part of me says don't buy an ATV unless you have your own private land, or access to someone else's, to ride on.

ATV advocates can talk all they want, but ATVing is a high impact activity. It just is. Knobby tires, machines that must weight at least 600-1000 lbs, all kinds of power. And the most fun activities are also the most high impact (mud bogging, hill climbing, etc). It is very common to see ATV trails in the ditches along any type of road once you get to the suburbs, and every time there is a trail going up a hill, there is significant erosion happening. There is no reason to think it would be any different on public lands.

On another note, as a honda fan, how fun would it be to be part of that promotion? Off roading all the way across the country. OK, the SUV part would suck (since SUVs suck in general, and you could probably drive a civic on the roads they are talking about), but the ATV, boating and horseback riding would be awesome.
grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 04:48 PM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: What is the deal with the public lands controversy?

3 and 4 wheeled ATV's (mini-jeeps) have done more to destroy recreational trail riding than anything else. The easy access to the woods for any cretin with a few bucks has made any area open to riding look like a moon scape. As Rick Sieman said, " The best thing about ATVs is, any idiot can ride one. The worst thing about ATVs is, any idiot can ride one."

Ask any forest ranger or land use professional. 3 and 4 wheelers have much more negative impact on the land than off road motorcycles. Unfortunately, ATVs now outnumber off-road motorcycles significantly.

I don't know how old you guys are, but "trail-riding" used to be a ubiquitous, fairly benign activity. Riding single-track vehicles through the woods left very small impact on the landscape, and there were fewer riders in there attracting attention. The wider ATVs, with less mature riders have decimated many miles of good trails. Indeed, the Forest Service in most places will not allow the establishment of trails on public lands that will not accomodate "mini-jeeps".

It sucks. I hate ATVs. Nothing I can do about it though. They have destroyed the sport I love, and there's no going back.

I truly believe that the days of riding the trails I love are numbered. 10 years ago, I didn't think I'd be doing this by now.

*sigh*

Guess I'll have to take up something else.

Pete P.