Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Honda News

Old 02-15-2002, 08:59 AM   #1
squidly
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda showing record profits

Alright lets hear from all the Honda haters. "Their bikes are bland", "They're just trying to rip off Harley with their cruisers" blah, blah, blah. Face it, they make good reliable products and are being rewarded for it by increased sales. Oh yeah, first post
squidly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Where is the mention of 'profits' in the article?The headline says 'record profits' but no accounting figures given. I see they sold more motorcycles, but that does not always add up to "record profits'.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:19 AM   #3
hawkrider
Founding Member

It will be interesting to see the numbers from the other brands. You would think the entire market was up in 2001, are the other brand sales figures in yet? If so I would like to see a breakdown by brand, % of increase and so on.

It seems to me that HD and Honda have the strongest loyal owner base. Each is loyal for different reasons, none the less very loyal.

Speaking as a Honda owner, (Valkyrie and Superhawk) it makes sense to me why Honda is doing so well. IMHO
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 12:41 PM   #4
sforbes
Registered Member

In the last year the yen went from around 105 to the dollar to over 130 to the dollar. It isn't difficult for any Japanese company that is selling product in dollars to report profits are up 25% -to-35% on the depreciation of the yen alone!
sforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 04:23 AM   #5
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Profit

I think it's obvious that there is a lot of markup on Honda's products and possibly other manufacturers. That's why I have never bought into the current motorcycle pricing scheme. I would like to know what the bottom line is at Honda. I wonder just how much money they made. I speculate that an RC51 only costs about $4K to make and is sold to the dealers for $8K and sold to the public for $10.5K. Despite all of the high technology, a motorcycle is just a hot-rod bicycle and hype drives the price.
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 08:09 AM   #6
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Honda makes sense, but how about 1800 Valk?

I´m not a Honda owner, but they make sense to me too.

The best three bikes I know (and hence my next bike): VTX, Valk or Warrior. Whaddoyouknow, two out of three are Hondas.

If Valk comes along with the new 1800 (Gold Wing) engine... does anyone know if it will?

cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 03:49 PM   #7
runner00
Founding Member

Best lineup in the industry. I think alot of us would like to see a serious small displacement

ultra light motorcycle that handles very well something like the sv650 but lighter 400cc

and about 70 to 75 ponies. Why is it that the industry does not take small displacement

bikes seriously. There all so goofy. I think it's a money thing. I think they think that in

the long run they make more money with larger displacement. If they wanted to they

could make a 400cc or 500cc bike that really performs. Also while I'm at it. All small

displacement cruisers should have a 6 speed. I'll bet thats a money think also.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 04:27 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Suzuki has the nice little GS500.

The reason you don't see many small displacement sporty bikes in the US market is simply that they don't sell. Manufacturers have to sell volumes of any model to justify the costs of importing, support etc. Americans just seem to like bigger bikes so the manufacturers try to give them what they want.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:54 AM   #9
slimy_one
Founding Member

Default Best 3 bikes at what...

making the largest dent in a Peterbilt's radiator? Or perhaps, hardest to lift in a van by thieves who haven't stolen a hoist yet? Or maybe best at propping up dictators in 3rd world countries that export chromium?

You got me baffled there. What exactly are you basing "best" on?
slimy_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 04:49 AM   #10
sforbes
Registered Member

Default Re: Profit

Prices are always a combination of cost (bottom end) and what the market will bear. Honda is actually pretty much a "commodity" brand which I imagine doesn't command the "hype" premium - especially in light of the competition of near substitutes from other Japanese bike makers. Look to BMW, Harley, and Ducatti for prices that include a big premium for brand names.
sforbes is offline   Reply With Quote