Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Honda News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/)
-   -   HRC Test in Malaysia (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/honda-news/1015-hrc-test-malaysia.html)

Joe_Momma 01-18-2002 09:33 AM

Re: HRC Test in Malaysia

Will Rossi defect to Aprilia? I heard it's more involved the new contract (Honda Licensing Rossi's name) than what's being said.

jmeyn 01-18-2002 09:48 AM

Do we have a prima donna here? Can Rossi afford the test time? Can Honda afford losing Rossi? Wouldn't it be great if racing was about racing first and money second? Close to first, but second.

Lincoln 01-18-2002 10:05 AM

I can't decide who is worse for Grand Prix, Honda or Rossi. They both deserve each other. Believe me, i will still love MotoGP if Rossi or Honda, or both, were to just disappear

Joe_Momma 01-18-2002 10:37 AM

Come to the Dark Side

There has to be an evil force in every story. Honda is that evil force. Yamaha, Aprilia, Suzuki, Ducati, and Kawasaki are the clans fighting the evil force. I guess Ducati has done pretty well in WSBK. Suzuki is doing ok in JRR and AMA... But Honda is the Dark Side.

granny 01-18-2002 11:30 AM

I'd expect that Rossi can win on any bike (e.g., Aprilia). Assuming no injuries, Rossi probably has several years of racing left in him. Even so, Rossi won't be able to race forever, he ought to get what he can while he can (rumor claims the dispute is about merchandising using his name, not about money BTW). IMO, Honda need Rossi more than Rossi needs Honda (though Daijiro Katoh may change that).

blademan 01-18-2002 07:57 PM

First off, the dispute is definitely about Honda using Rossi's name for marketing purposes. Rossi is not a primadonna, I would say Biaggi is. And judging by last season, no one can stop Rossi. Biaggi tried many times, and many times tossed the Yamaha. Rossi could win on any of the new 4 stroke machines. Someone above said that Rossi has a few years left in him, WTF!!! He is only 22. He will be around for a long time. At last years Suzuka 8 hour Colin Edwards said that Rossi could very well be the greatest of all time. Himself being a former World Champion, I would say that he is serious. He's not one to worry about what he says and when. Rossi will dominate on any machine. How many times did he start off in 10th to 15th place only to come back and win the race? You Honda and Rossi haters are going to have a long horrifying season ahead of you.

A_Nominal_Squid 01-19-2002 05:49 AM

I had heard that the contract dispute was something to do with Rossi wanting to keep his number 46, and not run the #1 plate. Honda may be the dark side, and they may make stupid decisions, but I don't think they're stupid enough to lose someone who's arguably the most popular GP rider in a long time, to say nothing of his riding skills.

eddieviscosity 01-19-2002 09:35 AM

Right on, Blademan. Rossi is VERY good.

xIrvx 01-19-2002 11:03 AM

Big H

I thought Honda learned a lesson when they let J Mcgrath get away in the 90s. They have treated Miguel duHamel very well in the last few years. Maybe corporate politics will once again get in the way of winning championships.

doohan 01-20-2002 07:14 PM

Whine whine whine..if Suzuki was winning all the time then you'ld all be hating them. As far as Rossi being bad for Moto Gp PLEASE! He has been the bright spot in the sport. Did you really want to watch another year of Crivelle

or KRJR circulating around the track at paces slower then Doohan era...please...500's were going backwards since the great Mick had retired, then Rossi saved the class. Don't tell me you didn't love the all italian battles between Rossi,Caporossi and Max? That was some of the best racing since the Rainey,Schwantz and Doohan days. You should be grateful for Valentino...sit back and enjoy the best is yet to come. Don't be one of the brand loyal whiners who hates other companys because of the success.