Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #11
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Acheson View Post
Do you reckon that i'm going to need over 600cc for comfortable touring with a pillion? I don't know if build has anything to do with it. I'm 6'1'' and weigh about 180 pounds. My lady is pretty small...
In a Word? No. I think you'll find the bikes you've named aren't going to be any "smaller" than something 600cc+. It's all a matter of physical space - not the size of the engine (once it has enough power to lug you around). The GOOD thing about buying from the used market is: if you don't like the bike for your needs - sell it for what you've paid for it, and buy another.

Quote:
Also, am i really going to regret having no fairings if i go for a naked bike?
Depends on your definition of "fairings". If you mean "covered in plastic sportbike vs. a naked sportbike" - not really. There's SOME protection for the pilot. But, usually the pillion still suffers a bit. That even happens on larger "touring" bikes when they're designed more for aesthetics over functionality (but often, functionality is >/= UGLY).

Altogether, this comes-down to picking the bike that YOU want, that has enough power for YOU, that meets YOUR needs.

Nobody else can do that for you, and it's really harder than you might think. The best moto in the world is a compromise.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Many thanks, gentlemen, for you advice. Sorry for being so green around the gills... Do you reckon that i'm going to need over 600cc for comfortable touring with a pillion? I don't know if build has anything to do with it. I'm 6'1'' and weigh about 180 pounds. My lady is pretty small... Also, am i really going to regret having no fairings if i go for a naked bike?
I use a National Cycle windshield on my naked bikes. They work pretty well and don't add the weight a fairing does. My wife and I have been riding all over the west US for over 30 years on naked bikes with shields.

If you are planning on touring the west US, Canada or Australia you might want a bike bigger than 650 for touring 2 up. I know several people who tour comfortably on the Wee-Strom 650 for example. Otherwise it's mainly overkill. Not that overkill is necessarily a bad thing, mind you. You might consider a BossHoss......
Old 02-19-2008, 06:31 AM   #13
sachiwilson

600 cc is completely adequate for two-up touring. You'd be able to ride two-up with a 500 as well. The issue isn't so much engine size as it is the accommodations on the bike - the seat and seating position.

I have a 2004 Hornet (599) and ride without a fairing or screen of any sort. The way you deal with wind is by your position on the bike. If you have a naked bike, you can't sit straight up; you need to lean into the wind a bit. That not only keeps the wind from pushing you around, but it causes the wind to support your torso -- that is, it takes some of the weight off your arms so you can ride with less effort.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #14
bbtowns
Founding Member

You live in London, which my English friend tells me has weather just like Portland. In which case you're probably soggy while you were typing your post. Some kind of weather protection is pretty critical in the way of a windscreen you can get behind, whether it's aftermarket or not. That is if you plan to ride year 'round. I ride my Tuono in the rain, but not much. I ride my Concours and V-Strom daily in the rain.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #15
Matt Acheson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
You live in London, which my English friend tells me has weather just like Portland. In which case you're probably soggy while you were typing your post. Some kind of weather protection is pretty critical in the way of a windscreen you can get behind, whether it's aftermarket or not.
You've got that right... the weather here is woeful. I can't wait for the roads around Monte Carlo this June!

Hey, does anyone here have any experience with a Suzuki SV650? I thought that perhaps a naked one with a small screen attached might serve my purposes.

I'd just like to thank you all for being so responsive. This is definitely the friendliest and most helpful biker forum, and I joined a few. They were weak.
Matt Acheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #16
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
You've got that right... the weather here is woeful. I can't wait for the roads around Monte Carlo this June!

Hey, does anyone here have any experience with a Suzuki SV650? I thought that perhaps a naked one with a small screen attached might serve my purposes.

I'd just like to thank you all for being so responsive. This is definitely the friendliest and most helpful biker forum, and I joined a few. They were weak.
The SV650 would probably be the best all-arounder of the bunch you mentioned. It just plain works.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #17
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:

SV650 is a great bike, but your pillion may not care for it.
Get an older Tiger. A bit goofy looking, especially with the stripes, but a solid bike that'll do it all.
Of course, I'm a bit biased toward the Bloorbikes...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.

Last edited by pushrod : 02-21-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: What's with the freakin' hard returns?
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #18
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Yes, the SV650 is a good choice. You could also get a DL650 (V-Strom) if you want better pillion seating and a higher view of the road, though it looks a bit odd (as compared to SV650 standard bike).
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:56 AM   #19
Matt Acheson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
SV650 is a great bike, but your pillion may not care for it.
Why? What's wrong with the pillion position?
Matt Acheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #20
sachiwilson

Small and uncomfortable seat, high foot pegs.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote