Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-27-2001, 08:58 AM   #51
Not_Anonymous_Squid
Founding Member

Default Re: Bike parking in London

The attitude to bike parking in London is not quite as enlightened as you think. Bikes can park on private property, and what you see are the slithers of land (say, 2-4ft wide) in front of buildings that are not, technically, the pavement. Park on a pavement, road (with restrictions indicated) or in a car meter bay and you will get a ticket. Park on private property and they can clamp the bike and demand anything they like for its release (if they post a notice to that effect).
Not_Anonymous_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2001, 09:20 AM   #52
sanchin
Registered Member

Default Re: Questions about bike sales, dealerships and demand

Yes, I am an Isshinryu Karateka since 1988.

Send a note offline to gregsamuel@mediaon.net.

I have the fz1, bandit 1200s and sv650 on my short list. But after my YZF600r experience I am just gunshy.

Greg
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 10:11 AM   #53
hdpetey
Founding Member

Default Re: Bike parking in London

I don't claim to know the legality of motorcycle parking in London, just seemed to me like people were parking them all over the sidewalks private or not.
hdpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 10:24 AM   #54
hdpetey
Founding Member

Default Re: Great post

You make some excellent posts about traffic enforcement. If you think about most of our traffic laws they are not to keep people safe they are to make money. If we cared about safety we would adopt stricter DUI laws like they have in Europe.

On the loud pipes thing. I live in the city too, but I find the Borla piped Civics blasting hip hop at 3AM much more offensive. It seems like nowadays everyone is a burden of some sort.
Old 06-27-2001, 10:27 AM   #55
hdpetey
Founding Member

Default Re: TV brainwashes

Consider the SUV commercials. You would think no one ever visited the great outdoors until SUVS came around. I love the justifications people make when they buy one. I usually hear I have kids, yeah so did you parents and they got by without one.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:23 PM   #56
Gabe
Registered Member

Default It's fixable..

And when it is, you have a bike that's a lot lighter and everybit as powerful as a VFR, for a lot less money.

It's just a matter of how much money you want to spend- for a perfect bike out of the box, the VFR is the one. But thoses linked brakes-blech! Who decided we needed this?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 12:38 PM   #57
Gabe
Registered Member

If you want lighter and a little more power, then the FZ1 and bandit have too much power and too much weight.

My SV650, to paraphrase Garrett Morris, has been "berry, berry good for me." I have not heard a single negative thing about the SV that isn't fixable for les than $1000 bucks.

Stock, this bike is fantastic as a street ride and will do anything you ask of it. Souped-up, it will run in the twisties with anyone on anything (given you are a competent rider and the guy you are chasing is a little less so). And it's actually CHEAPER than a new Nitehawk!

Do yourself a favor and ride one- if you are in the Bay Area you can ride mine...

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 02:20 PM   #58
sanchin
Registered Member

Thanks for the offer Gabe, but I don't think I'll be on the west Coast any time soon. I sounds like you love your SV. I agree that the FZ and Bandit are bigger and much more powerful than my Honda.

How do you find the comfort of the seat ? I'm 5'10" and 160 so I'm not huge, but I am not young and that seat looks real hard. Do you have a windshield ? The new GIVIs look real nice.

Any good SV websites I should look at ?

GregSamuel@mediaone.net
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 02:45 PM   #59
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Big toys for big boys....

Excuses. Not trying to rag on you, but really. I'm right next door to you, and I'm sorry, I can't relate to your problems.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 04:13 PM   #60
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Excuses for what?

As I said, I own an R1, and I ride it. These problems aren't keeping me from motorcycling. I am merely saying that to someone without the werewithal and resources, it would.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote