Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-05-2001, 10:35 PM   #1
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Default Re: Tranny Help

Hmmm, maybe you should try: Delphi, Esportbike.com, CycleWorldF0s, Sportbikes.net, SportBikeWorld.com, or this: http://nav.webring.yahoo.com/hub?ring=honda_sabre&list .
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2001, 02:18 AM   #2
MoMo
Founding Member

might be haunted?
MoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 03:00 AM   #3
GboroGoose
Founding Member

Maybe it's just dog tired.
GboroGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 03:25 AM   #4
Sparky
Founding Member

was that a subtle pun or what???

Anyway it really could be....tired dogs that is.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 04:48 AM   #5
canuck_les
Founding Member

As an owner of one of these beasts, I've noted the bike slips back a gear every once in a while. Does the dashboard show the gear position moving back to N? I've noted when it does slip out, I've been lazy with the shift, not being forceful enough with the shift.

Also, You've not stated whether it does this in any other gear. Mine does, again, only if being lazy with the shift, and not forcefully engaging the gear. I've since moved my shifter down, so that it matches the natural rotation of my ankle, and the missed shift occurances have decreased (not totally gone away). I don't want to come accross like I'm beating the crap out of my shifter, but I'm definitely being more deliberate than on my GSXR. The old sabre just needs this kind of attention to my understanding.

BTW, I kind of like the "old dog" still after all these years.

canuck les
canuck_les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 06:09 AM   #6
Roland
Founding Member

Default Similar Problem...

A friend of mine had a Honda Sabre around the same year as yours. Whenever i rode it, i noticed the same thing that your describing.

Between 2nd and 3rd gear it would 'pop' into neutral. Of course i was riding the bike pretty hard, had to keep up with the newer bikes ya know.

The only way i could avoid the problem was to just take it easy on the bike. Calm lazy riding. Then the problem wouldnt occur very often at all.

We never took the the bike in to get looked at or anything. Sorry i have no answers beyond that.

Roland
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 07:52 AM   #7
RacinJason
Founding Member

After much knowledge and research, it turns out that you are riding a '82 Sabre. What are you thinking?

PLEASE DISCONTINUE USE IMMEDIATELY!

Take a bus to your local dealer, and purchase a motorcycle that was designed sometime in the last two decades.

I hope this helps!
RacinJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 07:55 AM   #8
emoto
Founding Member

This was a problem commonly seen on the Spagthorpe OW-404 from the late 40's. Although not common knowledge, Honda actually based much of their 80's motorcycle engineering on this little-known, but highly regarded firm's product line, and it stood them in good stead until the early 90's when a trio of engineers defected from Harley-Davidson so that they could flex their technological muscles in a nation where it is common practice for men to be bathed in public by young women. Their lead engineer for the project, Dr. Wilfred "Mike" Hailwood, spent countless hours in development of the transmissions and found, after much jiggery-pokery, that high crankcase pressures, caused by failing to bleed out the drier "winter air" that seeps in during storage, was responsible for oxidation of the shifting forks and dogs. thus leading to the afrementioned failure.

Happy to help.
emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 08:25 AM   #9
john
Founding Member

Seems to me like he was asking for help fixing his current bike, not getting a new one. Maybe you should read a bit closer next time so you get all of the relevant details.

In regards to the tranny, it sounds like the gears are not fully meshing, perhaps. You say you are mechanically inclined and have a shop manual, so you might want to open her up and look at the engagement dogs. i am not familiar with the bike specifically, but it will probably have these. They are what actually position the gears inside the case. In many bikes (and cars) they are made of plastic, as they do not get much stress placed on them. All they do is slide the gears along the shaft. They will, however, get worn over time, and so, after a point, they might have worn enough where they are not fully engaging the gear. This could possibly be a very load-sensitive problem. It could also be compounded by case pressure. This would likely explain why it happens sooner under acceleration, and definitely above 6000 rpm. That is one of the first things i would look at.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:27 AM   #10
BammBamm
Founding Member

I'll bet it's the Fetzer valve.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote