Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Exhaust Pipe Temp? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/4576-exhaust-pipe-temp.html)

cls 06-14-2007 06:07 AM

Re: Exhaust Pipe Temp?

Magna or Rebel?

pplassm 06-14-2007 06:08 AM

Hmmm. It depends on what resources you have at your command. What material would be available to seal a similar leak on an automobile at your location?

I saw some pretty innovative repairs in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm sure someone local can help you out.

To answer your direct question, I'd guess no more than about 800 degrees Farenheit (427 degrees C).

Buzglyd 06-14-2007 06:15 AM

I'm thinking some Egg Foo Yung and an exacto knife ought to do the trick.

seruzawa 06-14-2007 06:59 AM

Plain old fiberglass works pretty well.

mscuddy 06-14-2007 07:11 AM

They usta sell this silica stuff that came in a tube that you squirted into the pipes at the exhaust port flange and then bolted the flange/pipe(s) up and and immediatley started the bike, so the exhaust pressure would shove the silica goop into the exhaust leaks.

Worked swell on my old '82 Virago when I switched to straight pipes. The balance tube joints leaked, and the silica plugged it up just fine.

SRMark 06-14-2007 07:21 AM

Collect the webs the bird spider. Careful now, it's one of your most venomous spiders. When you have enough to wrap the affected areas, cover the webs with fresh buffalo dung. Start the bike and let the dung dry to a solid. Should take about 10 minutes to completely bake. Your bike is now fixed. The dung will eventually crumble and fall off but the web material will stay put, giving you a good seal.

Either do that or move yer butt to civilization, and go into an Auto Zone and ask them for 2,000 degree ceramic paste. I hear it works pretty good.

bbtowns 06-14-2007 07:44 AM

Not one's being much help here, but a better forum to ask would be the Magna forum, where they're pretty passionate about the bike. But...whether it's 200 degrees or 800 degrees you're probably best off using the highest temp sealant available to you. The combination of heat and pressure will be hard on it anyway. Could a good welder solve your problem?

acecycleins 06-14-2007 07:48 AM

Isn't JB weld a univeral fix distributed world wide?

mscuddy 06-14-2007 07:55 AM

Wait a minute, you live in China and can't get that silica goop stuff. Sorry, I jumped the gun again....oh woe.

Let's see, what can you use...hmmmm...do they still use packing material for water spigots in China? Maybe try that. Or some asbestos twine.

Or just saw the pipes off at the junction, and forget about it. On second thought, loud pipes get you brought up before the peopleÂ’s nuisance board and you might get executed, or your organs harvested, so scratch that.

Pipe temp is HOT, so don't touch it.

Hope this helps. Can you get a nice used Chang Jiang over there? Those are SWEET!

TheFox 06-14-2007 08:05 AM

That's what I came here to say.

--The Fox