Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #21
jddrsy3
Registered Member

Default Re: Easiest 600cc to Ride?

I am a 23 year old college grad who commuted to school on a 2003 SV650s. I put approximately 36,000 miles on that bike with no mechanical problems. I rode with guys with CBR600s,GSXR600s,and a Zx7. The low end torque of the SV allowed me to keep up with any of these bikes at all but insane speeds (130+ on closed course). I started out on a 2002 Ninja 250R and put 6,000 miles on that bike before getting busted for being stupid by being clocked going 100 in a 55. For graduation I got a 2006 FZ1. However,out of all my bikes the SV is the best bike I have owned, heck it even feels stronger then my FZ1 in the sub 6000rpm range probably due to the FZ1s tall gearing and engine configuration. Get a SV, change the fork oil, and you will be happy for years to come.

jddrsy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #22
Jiffy
Registered Member

600cc bike is not a good bike to start on. Buy a used Ninja 250 or 500. Those are good starter bikes.
Jiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:26 AM   #23
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

LOL, you make regular streetbikes sound like they're handicapped compared to DPs...
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:40 AM   #24
anrajala
Founding Member

I totally agree with narco. For the inexperienced a modern 600 is as recommendable as shooting fireworks out of the arse.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:32 AM   #25
Zakman
Founding Member

Ok,

Here's an idea why not enroll your kid or younger sibling directly into college from grade school or preschool. They can probably do it. and after all they won't miss out much in the way of experiences or learning. And just think of how they won't have those annoying stories to tell of comming up through the ranks. Later on when they reflect back, I'm sure they will be glad to have skipped that section of their life.

Zak
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #26
pplassm
Founding Member

They are.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #27
SRMark
Founding Member

Do your self a favor and look up the performance specs of the best sports cars. Then look up the specs of the current 600cc sport bikes. If you were just starting to drive (and had a whole buncha cash) would you really go buy a Saleen S7 to practice parallel parking?
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:06 AM   #28
cgoins
Founding Member

I was 24 yo when I got my first bike, a K6 GSX-R750. I had an extensive discussion with my uncle who has been riding for as long as I have been alive and we came to the decision that if I was smart and respected the bike, then I would be fine. I took that advice, aided by the fact that I wanted to properly break the bike in according to specs and have not had a problem.

If you are willing to respect the bike, and not have passengers for the first couple of thousand miles (my only mistake), then you should be fine getting a 600. If you don't respect it, it will bite you on your butt. Plus, you won't be wanting to jump up to a larger bike in about 3 months.
cgoins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:28 AM   #29
schizuki
Founding Member

Good advice.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:34 AM   #30
Aero_Doc
Registered Member

GP 500 racing is an illusion. If you are going to ride on the street with all its dangers not present in GP 500 racing, then get a street orientated bike to learn and master your life saving skills. The following all-to-familiar incident occurred recently:

I was travelling down a narrow side street, a large dumpster was on a verge, the owner of the house reversed out of his driveway and since his view of me was obscured by the dumpster he didnt see me and came out onto the street. He was surprised to see me stopped in the middle of the road waiting for him to finish reversing - you see experience teaches us to be careful of large object on the side of a road - so we can, hopefully, avoid fools who don't see or hear a bike coming.

Learn how to ride on something sane (zzr250, gsx 250) and establish safe practices now when your in the early learning phase before you decide on the type of ride.