Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Easiest 600cc to Ride?

Take the MSF class, buy a used Suzuki SV650S, get good gear, practice the MSF braking drill and others, ride for 2 years, gets some track time if you can and then think about a 600. 600 in line 4 sport bikes are high strung bred to race even the old ones. Yes I started on a 01 2001 ZX-6R but I was an old man in my late 30s. Even so I practiced a lot in large parking lots of vacant manufacturing plants whose jobs have been shipped overseas.. You can't help it but your testosterone levels are high at your age so I am afraid that the temptation to ride a 600 fast will be overwhelming..The Suzuki SV650 is a user friendly V-Twin with low end torque that will be easy to learn on. In addition, you won't outgrow so quickly as a Ninja 250.. Ninja 500 is good but I would go with the Suzuki. Lots of after market stuff for the SV650s lower fairings, etc.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
ksquid
Banned

Well said.. The dirt stuff is a great point. The guys that I ride with occasionally all have dirt experience they seem to be able to handle the of frack situations well.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #13
pdad13
Founding Member

None of them.

Unless, of course, you're a real natural (hard to predict, rare and a very risky proposition) or you've got some real experience (which you don't).

The newer ones are thinly-veiled race bikes. Incredible machines but not for noobs. Sure, you might be able to get the thing moving, but odds are you'll not become a very good rider. And this ain't golf; there are no mulligans; it's a matter of life and death.

(Check out the insurance rates for a 23 year-old novice on a late model 600cc supersport. You'll crap yourself.)

All of us here have seen more than our share of a$$hats wobbling around on supersports in t-shirts, sneakers and a full-face helmet. Don't be one of them. We laugh at them. And they have a troubling tendency to kill or maim themselves, in the process making things harder for the rest of us.

See, this thing called motorcycling is serious business. Fun, but serious. It demands respect and, unfortunately, there are lots of people out there who don't have enough.

It sounds like you have at least a bit of respect or you wouldn't even be thinking about ease of use for a beginner. Start with a bike that's more forgiving. There are lots of good choices. Get some education (MSF is only a start; you never stop learning to rider better). Read some good books on riding as a start.

Have fun, be smart, and welcome.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
ksquid
Banned

Well said and great point about the insurance. The money I would have saved in insurance could have paid for Freddie Spencer's track school.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:09 PM   #15
ejis
Founding Member

Start off in C? What are you, a wimp? There's barely enough power to merge onto the highway. Don't you know how dangerous that is? You'd be much safer with the full power setting, and just not use all of it until you're good enough to handle it. You'll also want to get rid of those stock exhausts and put on some safer loud ones. Do all that and you don't really need to wear a helmet or any gear.

Do I really need a smiley here too?
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #16
sanfrdnsun
Registered Member

damn, i too forgot a smiley
sanfrdnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #17
Cam
Registered Member

The folks who recommend a 250 Ninja are on the right track, I think. I rode one for a while - it was actually tons of fun, extraordinarily cheap to operate, all the while being relatively unintimidating. As I recall, my comprehensive State Farm insurance was around $105/yr!

The second bike I had was a 1983 Kawasaki GPz-550. It might still rank as the bike with the biggest grin factor I've ridden. It was nearly as light as the EX-250, but with 54 rwhp. It's air-cooled, triple-disk brakes, semi-sporting riding position, and as reliable as the day is long. The previous owner had done a nice job with the jetting, and had fitted a full Yoshimura system. It was a strong runner! Decent used units are under $1500.

My third bike was a 2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R, new. To be honest, I was very happy I had some experience before I got the bike. I enjoyed it much more as a result, and had respect, rather than fear for its capabilities.

Start small. It might seem like the baby steps will take a while - but, everyone who rides works on their skills throughout their lives. Riding within your capabilities will extend your life on two wheels. Good luck.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #18
bikerlarry
Registered Member

Suzuki DRZ400SM. I've been riding for 20+ years. Just bought one as a 2ND Bike and love it.This would be a great beginner bike.Get an older used 600cc bike if you must have a 600cc inline 4. SV650 would be much better than the 600 supersports. My Triumph speed 4 was a great bike, but might still bite a newbie.
bikerlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #19
hutch312
Registered Member

There are so many great choices of "easy" to ride 600cc sport bikes bikes. Get anyone of them, preferably a race replica and be sure to leave it too me in your will... paid off of course, and don't trash it too much when you make your grand exit to motorcycling, scratches and dents i can deal with!

I am sure you will do just fine! But when I was around your age and I first started riding it was a CB350, then a DR350. Real easy to learn on and a piece of cake for taking Safety Classes and passing the riding test. Then after 2 years on the street with my trusty 350's I moved up to 750cc and have found a comfortable place there. If I had to do it all again I would have not wasted money on the CB350 and would of gone straight to a Dual Purpose bike or as SV650 ( if I was dead set on a plastic sport bike maybe the Ninja 650R). Go Naked or DP... save on the insurance. Full coverage on a DR350 is less than $100 a year. Do the right thing and take the Safety Class it is worth it... and always remember never allow a passenger on your race rocket unless she is wearing a thong... that's one things those jokers got right!!! http://www.killsometime.com/Pictures/images/Pic1040.jpg
hutch312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #20
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

I'll agree with your choice of bike, if a man HAS to have a 600cc+ bike as a "Starter".

Stay Away from HawkGT's - really crappy starter bikes.

Well, actually they're really, REALLY Terrific starter bikes; but they're no-longer being produced, and it seriously pains me every time I see one wadded-up............. (and parts are getting hard to come by to rebuild one of these things!)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote