Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Leather suit woes!

You mean that watering hole by the matress under the overpass, right?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Pretty close.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
fugusaurus
Founding Member

okay, now for reals. for years i've ridden in a full, one-piece leather (custom made) suit. it's amazing, comfortable, armoured, and unbeatable if i ever go down (touch wood). yes, it's brutally hot in there when it's hot outside, but you pay to play, eh? it's also super super comfy when riding in reasonable temps, great at speed, for long days in the saddle, etc. etc. there's good reason people wear leather on motorcycles - it works. i love my leathers.

1. 1 piece. the two piece ones are stupid-looking, and the jacket is too short to really wear separately, and you'll *never* wear the pants separately (cut wrong and stupid-looking).

2. Look, you're buying leathers. If you want comfy 'n cool on the beach, buy a thong. For leathers buy protection not ventillated crap.

3. Test 'em out. Or buy custom, it'll last for the rest of your life if you don't abuse it. And they can be repaired if you crash.

4. Buy the right size - talk to the salesman. They do get a little looser, but not much. Don't "buy loose" - it needs to fit to protect you, man. If it's floppy and baggy it won't spread the impact load well, and will bind and do bad things if you crash. When you hit the ground, you want the leather to 1) spread out the load to avoid internal damage, and 2) slide smoothly on the asphalt to prevent tearing. For both of these, you want it to fit smoothly to your body.

5. New. It's an investment in a healthy dermis, undamaged body and comfy riding. do the right thing.

Good luck Leatherman.
fugusaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
gjbedna
Registered Member

Leather-Vanson

Textile-Aerostich

gjbedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #15
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

Not so fast. I have beaten lots of things with sticks.

Cheesebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #16
Cheesebeast
Registered Member

Vanson Ventmax III jacket

+

Alpinestars Air-Flo Mesh pants.

If you go down in the tropics then get on some good antibiotics. I lived in P.R. for three years and any scratches were fought over by fungus and bacteria. I was one funky critter at times.

Tropical drinks don't boost the immunity as much as you think, even though they are loaded with vitamin C goodness.

Thanks for the memories.
Cheesebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:28 PM   #17
Fenton
Founding Member

Check out www.roadgear.com

I have the XKJ jacket and pants with liners. I can't believe how warm perforated lethers can be with a good liner. Great jacket with jeans too.

The owner, Mansoor, was a pleasure to work with and very knowlegable. (insert name joke)

If you gotta have pucks, I like my Dainese 2 pc. that zips together. Pant model is "103" and I forget the jacket model.

+1 for the 1 pc. Roadcrafter by Aerostitch for everything else.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Barnacle Bill, for gosh-darn sakes!

Now's probably the right time to contact him if you'd like the suit soon, all the Racer's already have theirs.

You'll spend little-more than for a Off-the-rack, and it'll [i]FIT.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:38 PM   #19
findangle
Founding Member

thanks for the advice dude!

Yeah those infections can be bad hehe.. i live on St Thomas about 30 miles east of PR. must always keep it clean.
findangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #20
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

So, the wife and I are out for a ride. We stop at a gas station to fill up the bikes and in general take a break and chat where we wanted to go next when this older fella on an R1 stops at the station, dismounts and starts walking to the two shop attendants. Now, my hat's off to the guy because he was about 60 and can still fold up to ride an R1. But, he was about 5'6", very round looking and wearing REALLY tight blue and white leathers which must have been brand new as he was waddling more than walking. He kind of looks like a sweaty Garden Gnome dressed in leathers with a short white beard.

Well, his conversation was quick and he turns around and starts to waddle faster and goes right past us mumbling about how the station doesn't have public restrooms and he has to go across the street to the other gas station.

As he makes his way across the street I turn to look at the two kids that he just spoke to and they are laughing hard and are near tears.

My wife looks at me says with a puzzled look "Don't have restrooms? But I used the restroom while you were filling up the bikes"

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote