Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
wilro09
Registered Member

Default Re: Music on Two Wheels? Noise Canceling Earbuds

Koss don't remember the model number but I got mine for $14.95. They completely seal off the ear canal and because of construction will stick in your ear good enough to pull a full-face helmet on over them.

The RiderWarehouse sells them.
wilro09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
SmokeU
Registered Member

I wear normal earplugs and have J&M helmet mounted speakers and mic(for the CB). Works great and lets me hear the music without all that background noise. Plus my ears thank me for the quiet.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
ksquid
Banned

Cheap Alternative
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

Per the Aerostich catalog, Koss "Plug" earbuds with the Etymotic earplug grafted on to it is the way to go. Someone sells them on eBay premade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Koss-the-Plug-Et...QQcmdZViewItem

I have been using them for a couple of years now, and they work great. You can get an in-line volume control from the same vendor to turn them off.

I have seen custom-molded earphones for sale at shows, but the price always turned me off.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

Bose are nice but the db is rather low for spirited riding. The Koss' are good but don't fit under my helmet in such a way as to NOT cause pain. The Shure's were the ticket for me. I also bought a "mini amp" at Best Buy for around $30 or so to get the sound up for the "really" spirited rides.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
bikervince
Founding Member

This is exactly what I use. Cheap (about $15 bucks for the Koss earbuds and $1 for the foam earplugs) and very effective. Just drill a hole down the center of the foam earplugs, remove the earpieces from the Koss phones and glue the foam plugs in place. They fit snugly in your ear, block out all the extraneous noise and sound great. I have a stereo in my Eglide with hi-performance speakers, but these things are 10x better for a fraction of the price.

John

bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

www.etymotic.com

They do a really good job of blocking the wind noise when I fly. I don't use them too much for riding. I just blast the stereo thru the speakers on the geezer glide.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
foilrat
Registered Member

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

I've been using these for about 4 years (I'm on my second pair) and they are superb.

I also have a pair of the ER-4, but they stick out quite a bit, so I can only use them on the plane.

The ER-6i are specifically designed to be used with the iPod or other low-power MP3 type players, whereas the ER-4 and ER-6 are designed to be used with a headphone amp.

I use these all day, and the don't cause any fatigue. If you want some peace and quite, just turn the source off, and they are great ear plugs.

Well worth the extra $ investment.

foilrat

foilrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
ejis
Founding Member

I have the Bose IE and while they sound good (a lot of people disagree with me on this...) they do not isolate at all. Great for some things, not so great for riding.

I also have Shure E2c and SE210. The E2c are somewhat large for in helmet use, and the included tips are not ideal (foams work well but don't last very long, "flex sleeves" are not that comfortable for me). Sound pretty good though, especially with a few mods. The SE210s are much smaller, sound better, and come with better tips - I would recommend these of the ones I listed. I have never worn any of them while riding though, however I do wear earplugs (Etymotics) if I'm on the highway for any extended period of time.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

+1 on the ER6i.

I've got some noise cancelling headphones that I don't even use anymore because the etymotics are superior.

They're great for the gym too. They block out all the sounds of the treadmills and spin class when I'm on the eliptical machine.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote