Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 04-13-2007, 07:06 AM   #71
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: VFR or ZX-14?

If he gets a ZX14 he won't need the power commander and the only time he will need to look back is to see where the guy on the VFR is.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2007, 07:12 AM   #72
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Hey, Al and Jesse need to look like they are doing SOMETHING with all those 'donations' they collect. Imus was easy pickins. This should keep the PC mob at bay for a bit.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #73
seruzawa
The Toad

In the mail!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #74
seruzawa
The Toad

Nah. They are already lining up to silence everyone who disagrees with them. You know how much today's so-called liberals believe in freedom of speech. LOL!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #75
ccmun
Founding Member

Yawn, you old angry white dudes are a mite touchy these days...Youall got no freedom to pick on innocent talented women who did absolutely nuthin Dont blame Al and Jesse for this one...It was started by a confused wanna-be wankster
ccmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #76
Gritboy
Founding Member

Depend of if comfort/long-range is your goal, and also how you like your power delivery. I prefer twins overs fours for daily riding (haven't tried a triple), so I'd opt for a V2 or V4 if you like the SV's engine delivery. So I'd say a new anniversary edition VFR is your better choice. Of course the four lovers will say ZX-14, but I think it's the ugliest bike currently on the planet and complete overkill.

Of the new crop of refined bikes (and dare I say I'm repeating myself from another post), the BMW F800S has about 12 more ponies over your SV, '07 Triumph Tiger, KTM 990 Superduke and Aprilia Tuono all sound like other excellent "high-end" options. Then again, you could drop about a $1200 into your SV and get lowers, better forks/shocks and brakes... tough call.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #77
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So you think New York is Hymie Town too eh?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #78
slwndown
Registered Member

You have an interesting choice - but despite what you have read, the VFR has the following pros -

easy to ride well in the twisties despite not being a racerboy - and thats important for most riders if they are honest with themselves. High quality finish, always looks good AND retains its value better than a ZX 14. Great sound, good highway high speed wind protection and good fuel range.

The VTEC thing is abit of a niggle at times, but not often unless you cruise at around where it kicks in.

Your heart will go for ZX maybe but after a while, it will be too much, as it just idles at the speeds you can reasonably do - so the VFR is more fun in reality!
slwndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #79
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, since no one has mentioned it, the tweak that Honda did to the VTEC system last year, by most accounts I've seen, seemed to have helped greatly if not totally erased any complaints. I can't say personally since I've not ridden either version of the bike.

The ZX-14 is still being raved about by the press and owners alike. It does seem to be very well sorted, if not the prettiest girl at the ball (it does look better in person, though). I doubt I'd have much use for that much motor around my part of the country (but it would be fun occasionally). I'm finding that my bike's 130rwhp is well into the overkill zone on most occasions.

As some have said, I don't think you can go wrong with either (assuming you can live with the insurance premium on the ZX). Straight up comparison: The ZX is the better motorcycle. But is it the better motorcycle for the task--and your desires? Only you can answer that.

If I was using my bike for frequent and fairly heavy commuting miles in this area, and I could only have one, the Sprint would probably be my choice. Or would it be the Tuono? Or the SuperDuke? Or the upcoming 675-based Street Speed? Or about five or six other bikes.

I'm more confused than I thought.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #80
bikerlarry
Registered Member

I can't get past how freakin' ugly the zx-14 is. I wouldn't buy that thing if it had 300 hp. The 2007 triumph tiger 1050 or bandit 1250.My (yeah it's ugly too) 1000 v-strom(with a few mods) is a great commuter/sport/all-around bike. My $.02
bikerlarry is offline   Reply With Quote