Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #21
priday
Founding Member

Default Re: ZX-14: Cruise Missile to California

Sounds like fun! (to demonstrate my grasp of the use of understatement.....)

Be safe, and we BETTER get a journal style report.

Have fun!

-Rob

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Sport Tourer Decisions

In reality a sporttourer would be whatever the user thinks is a sporttourer. I've had a great time using my ZRX1100 as a sporttourer by adding GIVI hard bags. Yeah, it doesn't have a fairing but I can tour on it and have a load of fun in the twisties. My GSX1100G was marketted as a do it yourself sporttourer but it weighs 600 pounds and while it's a good 2up touring bike that will do okay in the twisties I'd never confuse it with a sportbike.

But it's hard for me to accept a bike with an actual weight of around 730 lbs (ST1300) as any kind of sportbike. Same with the nearly 700 lb BMWGT. These bikes weigh as much as old GL1100/1200 Interstates.

The FJR1300 isn't far behind and if the Big4 remain true to form the new Concours is gonna push 700 also. Remember that Kwacker's last real sporttourer, the ZZ1200, got dropped for lack of interest. It seems that Americans want the biggest heaviest stuff they can find be it cruisers or "sport"tourers.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

One of the great pleasures of motorcycling is occasionally showing the guys who take "The Fast and the Furious" too seriously the true meaning of performance.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #24
TheFox
Founding Member

If power scares you, don't get a ZX-14. It's ridiculous. Goofing around getting a feel for it, I'm fairly sure I was doing 120 in 3rd, and almost gave myself a heart attack. I'll be on the expressway doing 70 and I'm in 4th and don't notice.

I'd go with the Sprint and not the Ducati, just because you already have an S4R. The VFR could be interesting if you want a change of pace. I saw one at a local shop in the 25th anniversary colors and it looked great. Kind of like a Rothman's replica.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #25
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

Good points. I guess that's why I always kind of shy away from the term; I associate it with heavy and clunky. I think my budget sport-tourer would be a used sv1000. If I had money to blow, a multistrada.

He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #26
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

I had a fun moment on i5 the other day when a '95 civic with a dorky loud can tried to race me. I stayed just ahead of him for a few seconds to give him hope before I left. I mean, what fool thinks a 95 civic can be a fast car? A 95 subaru outback is faster.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #27
shines43
Registered Member

I'd say the ducati is tough for bigger guys. I had the chance to ride a ST3 and did not enjoy it. I've got a Suzuki V-Strom 1000 and it has been a blast. Traded a 93 FJ1200 and have been happy riding alone or two-up
shines43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #28
dorkboy
Registered Member

Vfrs are pretty cheap used too. <5k for a 10k mi. example. Watch out for that $1000 16k mi. service though.
dorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #29
obandoj
Founding Member

Ural
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:25 PM   #30
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Like the S in SUV, yeah, sure. I like these bikes in general, both catagories. I see the VFR, Sprint ST, ZX-14 etc. as sporty bikes that one could reasonably tour on. The FJR, ST1300 and K1200GT are medium tourers and if not for the Goldwing, RoadKing, and Beemer LT they would be "Heavy Tourers" IMHO. Put me with the group that has a hard time seeing a 600+ pound bike as too "Sporty". All good bikes, all fun in their own way, horses for courses.

All that said the main choice between the two catagories of "Sport/Tourers" would be decided for me by the answer to one question: One up or two up?
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote