Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #41
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Best advice ever!

Well, I shipped a bike using haulbikes.com once and it only cost like 400 bucks. I think they're up around 500 to 550 now.

You have to ask yourself...is your happiness worth 500-600 bucks? I think so.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #42
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Need some quick advice on bike choice.

Track stands? I'm curious.

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #43
fumanchu
Founding Member

had you not said sport bike, i would have thrown in a suggestion for the klr 650 from kawasaki, or a dual purpose that can take the spills you are sure to dish out as a beginner (no offense intended - dumping your bike is more often than not part of the learning process).

but, if you prefer sport bikes, then i would cast another vote for the kawasaki 250 ninja and its older brother, the EX500 ninja.

these last two suggestions are great bikes for the novice sport biker, can be had for very cheap used, employ time-tested technology (read: reliable), and the EX500 will keep up with just about anything in the twisties, when ridden with skill...

"...we recognize the fun-factor involved with riding a bike like the Ninja to its absolute limits and embarrassing much larger sportbikes with relative ease. We also know that the 500 Ninjas and earlier EX-500s make excellent lightweight racebikes that will run forever and are cheap to fix when forever comes. In this test, the Ninja performed well, especially in the handling department..." -sean alexander about the EX500, in the middleweight standards comparo.

there are tons of used bikes out there that will fit a student budget and be great for learning your craft; these are just two of them. cheers.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #44
sanfrdnsun
Registered Member

2007 Suzuki Gsxr 750

only 749cc good to go.
sanfrdnsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #45
gforces
Founding Member

There's no point in anyone telling you what you don't want to hear, which is to buy a used, old, ujm, dualie, or kawi 250/500, because those aren't what you really want, now is it?

fyi, the Hayabusa has a low ride height, all the power you will ever want, gets all the props from yo boys and all the looks from the girliez in them daisy dukes y'all.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #46
greencm
Registered Member

Default Dual-Sport first bike is the way to go!

I would have to concur... I got into motorcycling about a year ago and a long-time motorcyclist friend of mine convinced me to buy a dual-sport as my first bike instead of a "sport-bike" like I had my mind set on... one of the best choices I've ever made!

You will learn so much from a dual sport especially if you can find time to leave the paved road once in a while... I sold the Yamaha XT350 I had and now own a Buell CityX for commuting and primary driver... I still dream of owning another dual-sport or dirt-bike one day when I can afford two bikes...
greencm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #47
OhioSteve
Founding Member

You can find a 250 Ninja with less than 2000 miles on it for about $2500. It will be inexpensive and VERY fun.
OhioSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #48
DerkT
Registered Member

Default Sweet!

I was hoping for something around $250. I haven't found it yet. It might be more cost effective to find the time and just drive out to CA.
DerkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #49
DerkT
Registered Member

Default Re: Best advice ever!

check the email and let's take this private. If we can work this out I'm there.

Derrick
DerkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #50
MadScientistMatt
Founding Member

The GS500 certainly isn't a bad first bike - it'll easily keep up with traffic and looks pretty modern. I ride one myself, and it's capable of tackling a 40 mile commute.

Or a Ninja 250 - one of the few sport bikes used in MSF classes. I had given some serious thought to getting one of those.
MadScientistMatt is offline   Reply With Quote