Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Need some quick advice on bike choice.

And a REAL legend too, as it's easy to tell because like the rest of us it's gotten heavier with age.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #22
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Best advice ever!

Hey Cuddy I've been wondering where you've been. Hope you're not injured too badly. Van
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:24 PM   #23
bill_1
Registered Member

I agree with the Ninja 250 to start with - used is fine. Learning on a lighter bike is very important. Weight is an important factor when you get into awkward situations (oh yes you will) and being able to muscle the bike a little when needed may save you some greif. You will get to the larger bikes soon enough, be patient, take a little time to work your way up.
bill_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:30 PM   #24
12er
Founding Member

The Monster 695 would be a very good choice, I believe the seat hight is a little lower than the rest of the monster line. Its got the Cool factor in spades and no body work to thrash. V-twin power is more newby friendly than 16k rpm redlines on the race bikes. You could pick up a used 620 monster for less green too. If you must have a "sport bike" go with a Yamaha YZF600R, not an R6. The 600r is very user friendly, almost telepathic to ride and hasnt changed since it was MO's 600 of the year in '97. Its heavier than the latest and greatest which is a good thing on the street, much more stable in windy situations. Very comfortable and a huge aftermarket available. Pick up a used one and ride ride ride.

Also figure a Grand into your budget for gear, if you cant afford Gear, you cant afford to ride. Remember that Jeans are only good for scrubbing off 5-10 mph, anything above that is skin, muscle and bone. If you consider a grand expensive, price an hour in the ER or a skin graft. Suddonly a grand is dirt cheap. Plenty of reviews and suggestions for gear on this site. When buying a helmet make sure you wear it around the store for about 20 minutes to make sure there are not any annoying pressure points to spoil the fun. Remember a full face helmet should give you a little chipmunk cheek but not cut off circulation. Shake your head, if it slops around put it back on the shelf. Take a MSF or similar riding course, the more you know the safer you'll be. Good luck and ride safe
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #25
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Buying used makes the most sense in your case. A standard bike, such as the unfaired Suzuki SV650 is my favorite way to go, however, there are tons of good used Kawasaki EX500s out there and its riding position isn't too radical. If you must own a full faired sportbike, a used Yamaha YZF600R or Kawasaki ZZR600 would be good choices as their seating position aren't as radical as the current crop of "latest, greatest" sportbikes are. All of these bikes are virtually bullet-proof. If it were me, I'd look for a clean used standard SV650. I've been riding full-blown crotchrockets for over 40 years and a had a 2000 SV650 standard for a couple of years. What a hoot! You'd have a ball with one of these and learn more than on a faster, full faired bike. Good luck, cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #26
SRMark
Founding Member

Yup! I'm 6'1" and 220 and loved ridding the thing. Never owned one though so long term I can't opine.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #27
SRMark
Founding Member

Where the hell you been boy? And how could you let the CL go? Must be some injury.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #28
SRMark
Founding Member

QA50?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #29
DerkT
Registered Member

Bingo! My heart still races when I remember, at 16, sitting on that brand new CBX. Lust has no brains just desire.
DerkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #30
SRMark
Founding Member

Buy what ever you like as long as it has a center stand. Just keep it aimed out the drive way and buy a mini-tramp. I suggest you also get a bicycle and practice track-stands. You'll never need to put your feet down.