Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   Which power cruiser for this UK based man? (https://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/4345-power-cruiser-for-uk-based-man.html)

cls 03-09-2007 08:13 AM

Re: Which power cruiser for this UK based man?

It's always subject o personal preference, but I love my 109. Great bike. It's the best of the "performance" cruiser, IMO. I'm coming from ZX14, GSXR1000, etc., if that means anything. It's still a cruiser, but it's a great cruiser.

seruzawa 03-09-2007 08:13 AM

Don't forget the Vulcan2000.

Any of them would do. Check out MO's Godzilla cruiser comparo. Also, motorcycleusa.com has some how-to artciles on uncorking the Mean Streak.

Man, are you asking for it. Arrogant anti-cruiser bigots appearing in 10, 9, 8, 7.......

dorkboy 03-09-2007 08:26 AM

Here I come to save the day. What's a "performance" cruiser? Like military intelligence, right?

sarnali2 03-09-2007 08:39 AM

Why not show the flag and buy a Rocket 3? that has all the power you need and it's not another Japanese cookie cutter bike.

Might not be such an issue in Blighty but over here every other bike you see is either a Harley or Japanese dirivitive, why not Go Your Own Way (tm)

BrowningBAR 03-09-2007 09:01 AM

Lame.

dorkboy 03-09-2007 09:09 AM

If you define performance as speed in a straight line, I suppose you can define me as lame. Limping all the way to the truth.

mikenomad 03-09-2007 09:21 AM

The M109R and VTX1800 sound like large lawn tractors.

Go for the Warrior or Vulcan 2000, which have single-pin crankshafts and the wonderful syncopated lope that design produces.

BrowningBAR 03-09-2007 09:21 AM

No, I meant the "military intelligence" remark.

The "Power Cruiser" segment doesn't bother me, nor does the minimal turning capabilities. Love them, hate them. Whatever. I like cruisers, but my gripe is why the hell do they half to weigh so damn much.

BrowningBAR 03-09-2007 09:39 AM

Since your regular ride is a GS I would probably recommend the mean streak, Road Star Warrior, or the M109R.

A lot of people find the M109R ugly, but if you dig it the review on this site liked its performance.

The reviews on the Warrior and Mean Streak were both very favorable, but the Mean Streak is the lesser of the "Power Cruisers". But I heard you can hop it up nicely.

The Vulcan 2000 and the Rocket just seem so damn heavy...not that the others are light, by any means.

What would I go with? Probably a Blacked-out Midnight Warrior. Less shiny crap and seems to be a fun ride.

BrowningBAR 03-09-2007 09:41 AM

Make that: "have" to weigh...

I think I had a stroke recently which prevents me from spelling properly.

bross 03-09-2007 09:59 AM

I'm obviously biased, but for me the Meanstreak is still the best "power" cruiser. Yeah it gets knocked in every review for being underpowered, yada yada yada, but I prefer twisties to drag racing and the meanstreak handles very well for a cruiser. I have over 40,000kms on my '04 and it's been my daily commuter, as well as several long trips and it works equally well in both situations. Decide what's more important to you, if it's handling I'd go with the Warrior or Meanstreak, if it's drag racing stick with the M109. And if you like the v-twin sound, make sure you get a single pin crank! The VTX1800 sounds absolutely horrible with aftermarket pipes.

You mention carrying a pillion, scratch the meanstreak then, unless you get a good aftermarket seat, I wouldn't let an enemy ride for 5 minutes on the back of my meanstreak with it's stock seat. The meanstreak and I believe the warrior as well are really designed as one up bikes.

schizuki 03-09-2007 10:04 AM

"What would I go with? Probably a Blacked-out Midnight Warrior. Less shiny crap and seems to be a fun ride."

My pick, too. Sweet-looking ride. Power cruisers aren't my bag, but I dig this one.

ksquid 03-09-2007 10:15 AM

Power cruiser now there is an oxymoron

[*]kpaul was riding his beloved kNinja on Sunday when he came upon a brand new Suzuki M109R with a new vehicle permit.
[*]The rider attempted to accelerate away from kpaul several times
[*] Each time kpaul matched and surpassed the acceleration of the M109R rider
[*] After several unsuccessful attempts the disappointed M109R waved kpaul on

schizuki 03-09-2007 10:33 AM

He was probably gay.

cls 03-09-2007 10:37 AM

Some of you snapperheads (Too harsh?) need to realize "power" is different from "speed", and also that "speed" is not everything. Sacrilege, I know...

And, yes, before you ask, assume, or point out, I've had the fast bikes.

ksquid 03-09-2007 10:40 AM

Tell us the difference? Power = acceleration? A stock super sport 600 can out accelerate any power cruiser.. anywhere, anytime

dorkboy 03-09-2007 10:43 AM

Sorry. Make that jumbo shrimp. Any oxyMOron will do. How about government intelligence estimates? I saw in Motorcyclist a ride report by Sir Alan of Cathcart on the new Confederate Wraith. I think it said under 500 lbs. all up. That puts it at just short of the weight of the bags of $ you need to buy it.

Fenton 03-09-2007 10:44 AM

Welcome Fenton, you have another 365 of this crap.

ksquid 03-09-2007 10:44 AM

Could be it was a white looked ivory to me actually not a cool white..

ksquid 03-09-2007 10:45 AM

** Welcome ksquid, your account expires in -1 days

Kreb_Cycle 03-09-2007 10:45 AM

Ok, now that's the way to do it!

dorkboy 03-09-2007 10:48 AM

Doesn't speaking of oneself in the 3rd person indicate some kind of a personality disorder ? I thought you said you were becoming someone else.

Fenton 03-09-2007 10:48 AM

42 seconds? You are slipping.

BrowningBAR 03-09-2007 10:49 AM

You should probably do some Yoga before folding yourself in half trying to fit your own balls in your mouth. You'll hurt your back again.

Fenton 03-09-2007 10:49 AM

That's the way Fenton sees it.

BrowningBAR 03-09-2007 10:50 AM

BrowningBAR finds that annoying.

SmokeU 03-09-2007 10:55 AM

I'm going to have to whip out my BS card.

naco_traficante 03-09-2007 11:10 AM

The Yamaha or the Kawi, whichever has lower saddle. You don't want a Rocket III ?

schizuki 03-09-2007 11:20 AM

Hey, there's a time for brevity, and there's a time for a thesis. I pick my spots.

schizuki 03-09-2007 11:21 AM

Schizuki says "Well said! LOL! You nailed it!"

cls 03-09-2007 11:31 AM

No, not "any." There are always customs...

I speak of feel and enjoyment. You can also feel the power in an old, big-block heavy car, but it ain't fast. Work w/me, Bubba. Different tastes for different moods.

goodtime 03-09-2007 11:38 AM

As above, how bout the Rocket III

egb 03-09-2007 12:14 PM

I had a Mean Streak for about 30,000 miles. Never noticed a power deficit--it was quicker than any normal car so was great for the daily race. Great handling, great brakes, low maintenance (shaft drive, self-adjusting valves), easy to work on. Lots of bike for the money. I really liked the riding position, not all stretched out. With your size and your sons riding along, you'd need a better seat than the stocker. Plenty of windscreen choices.

I too like the look and motor of the M109R. But it's not that comfortable (30" inseam) with the forward controls and the bar position. Puts more weight on your tail and might be tough for those long trips. Maintenance is not as easy as on the Mean Streak (e.g., tire changes and working around all that plastic).

I'm not big on the Warrior's ergos, either, although it is a nice looking ride.

I agree with almost everything said about the Honda.

Good luck!

G

naco_traficante 03-09-2007 12:15 PM

Neither should be a problem - 28.7" for Star and 27.6" for Vulcan... so go for whichever looks cooler to you.

boru4761 03-09-2007 12:30 PM

I keep hearing mentions of the Rocket III. Does anyone know of any afermarket exhausts for these things? My one complaint aobut the bike is the ugly three into one into two on one side and one on the other exhaust.

JLWarrior 03-09-2007 12:31 PM

I'm biased, but I say go for the Warrior. The VTX is powerful but handles awkwardly IMO. And it has shaft drive. I have not ridden the M109, but it has a lot of plastic, and shaft drive. I'm not sure what you've heard about the Warriors handling, but it's the best handling cruiser I've ever ridden, only limited by the footpeg clearance, which is better than most cruisers.

Check out rswarrior.com for a great website, another good reason to buy a Warrior IMO.

testcase 03-09-2007 12:37 PM

MATT DAMON!

schizuki 03-09-2007 12:48 PM

No way! The most important thing about a motorcycle is how fast it goes! The faster the better!

See, the faster you go, the quicker your ride is over. Then you can put the bike in the garage for another six months until your next 50-mile blast.

Pure adrenaline, baby! Livin' life a quarter-mile at a time and 100 miles a year!

schizuki 03-09-2007 12:49 PM

Way to go, F.A.G.!

Ian_Leadley 03-09-2007 12:59 PM

When a certain bike tugs hard at your heart strings - you owe it to yourself to test ride one. If it continues to tug at your heart strings buy the damn thing and live happily for a while until something else comes along that pulls you off your current ride.