Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   MO Reader Question: Hard-To-Turn CBR600RR? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/4310-mo-reader-question-hard-turn-cbr600rr.html)

eekadog 02-26-2007 02:16 AM

Re: MO Reader Question: Hard-To-Turn CBR600RR?

let's see some pics of the new bike!...

It would be nice if you folks updated the forum style, so it was easy to post pictures.

Dangerousdave_2 02-26-2007 02:50 AM

Sounds like a bunch of PR crap to me.

silentgrayfellow 02-26-2007 04:06 AM

All right, who's the dipstick that moderated eekadog's post down as "off-topic"?

He said "Let's see some pics of the new bike!". Sounds on-topic to me...

silentgrayfellow 02-26-2007 04:15 AM

"As to the RR being hard to turn, I guess it is, compared to a CRF450. "

One thing I love about off-road riding, rear-wheel steering!!

brax4444 02-26-2007 06:12 AM

Learn to actively steer by pushing out on the bars. You'll find after a few miles that it's second nature and really accurate. A CBR600 wasn't designed to be a dirtbike just as Gabe said. Good luck!

gbrummett 02-26-2007 06:28 AM

Kevin, you are counter steering right?

Kevin, you are counter steering right?

That means steering the opposite way you want to go when going faster then parking lot speeds.

Some people call this pushing on the bar on the side of the bike you want to go.

If already are counter steering then like was said above the steering leverage on the average dirt bike is much higher then the CBR600RR.

Why you ask? Because the bars are much wider on a dirt bike then on the CBR. Why is that? Because they can be. The CBR which must take into account speeds well above a 100 mph has to have short handle bars so that your arms and body don't stick out much past the fairing and catch the wind. Bottom line is you pay for this when you are trying to steer at slower speed.

Also, try reading some books on the subject, two of my favs are:

Twist of the Wrist: The Motorcycle Roadracers Handbook by Keith Code (Paperback - May 12, 1997)

A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding by Keith Code (Paperback - Aug 31, 1997)

pplassm 02-26-2007 06:33 AM

Interesting. My brother, who is a long-time dirt bike and small street bike rider, just bought his first large (750cc) sportbike. His comments were similar to Kevin's.

I always have to "re-program" when switching from the 620 SM to the CBR1000. Maybe a light, sporting twin is the answer.

stumproast 02-26-2007 06:41 AM

I agree pix are worth 1000 words.

By the way, Gabe, the word you wanted was FLOUT not FLAUNT the laws of physics.

And I keep seeing THEN used instead of THAN.

Dirt bikes have more steering leverage THAN a sport bike.

One more thing; if you are going to follow all the traffic rules and don't own a race track, why buy a sport bike? Why buy any bike?

None of this has anything to do with silentgrayfellow who rightly commented on the dipstick's idea of what is 'off-topic'.

SRMark 02-26-2007 07:20 AM

Those stubby little bars have something to do with the slow steering feel. Also, there is a different rhythm to road riding vs. the dirt. The contact patches are wider, the tires are grippier, the road surface is more adhesive, etc. than you find in the dirt. The position of the body is lower; the transition of the body weight from foot peg to foot peg is different than that of a dirt bike. Get the flow right and that thing will steer very quickly indeed. Get it wrong and it may feel like a truck. Practice, practice, practice. Go slow at first, get the sense of smoothness and let that smoothness build as your speed increases. If you don't feel smooth, slow down.

SmokeU 02-26-2007 07:23 AM

bah!! Twins are junk.

;-)