Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   MO Reader Question: Hard-To-Turn CBR600RR? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4310)

seruzawa 02-26-2007 08:00 AM

Re: MO Reader Question: Hard-To-Turn CBR600RR?

Trade the 600 in on a Tuono or a Speed Triple. That will solve all your problems.

Kreb_Cycle 02-26-2007 09:10 AM

It's still fun to ride a bike on the road even if you ride legally, Mr. Grammar Police.

obandoj 02-26-2007 09:16 AM

Let's have pics! I would like to show some pictorial evidence of broken bombs to you know who.

Gritboy 02-26-2007 09:33 AM

Gabe's spot on in his comments, but as you're no doubt already read in the myriad of posts...

Newbies to riding clip-on sportbikes often think the bike turns can turn on a dime without input, but they're meant to go fast and remain very stable, so they never are as light and nimble as on dirtbike/enduro -- both of which are very squirrelly for fast street riding. Beside mass distribution, the handlebars leverage are key to different feel, but you can compensate using tips everyone's sending, including:

(1) Counter-steering (pushing on bar you to turn into) will do you wonders

(2a) using knee pressure (on opposite side) gives you feedback control, or (2b) you can use the old off-road peg pressure trick to get a little extra subtle turn control

(3) learn to roll your ass on the seat in the direction you're turning as you shift your weight (yes you actually have to move around a bit if you want to get the most of your body mass) for smooth leaning and control and your RR will track just fine.

Mind you, it's no 250 off-roader, but with a little experimentation with body/seating positioning it'll felt like a running back over a linebacker. Practice, experiment, and go slow until you get a good feel for the bike. Wickedly good bike.

Gritboy 02-26-2007 09:34 AM

Mmmmm... Tuono. I can smell the deliciousness now. :D

Gritboy 02-26-2007 09:36 AM

Sport twins are great, but it's the rider's skill, not the bike that needs replacing (i.e., s/he just needs practice). A CBR600RR isn't exactly and anchor.

Gritboy 02-26-2007 09:39 AM

I love it when I hit the submit before I've proofread my post, which is full of typos. Doh! ;-)

maladg 02-26-2007 01:54 PM

I think a couple of posters - and Gabe - nailed it re "recalibration" when changing from dirt to High Per Street.

Last year, a friend let me take a nice, long ride on his KLR650. Liked everything about it except the street skittish 21" ft - there is that recalibration thing again - and the lack of towing capacity.

When I returned it, jumped directly on The Fat Lady - aka Honda ST11 for a quick run to Blairsville to do some errands. Two curves onto ********* Road, I stopped to see if I had ANY air in my tires. Funny how fast I "uncalibrated". If I ever finally take a test ride on a Uly, ST3s or GS12, I'm financially committed.

As for ********* Road. Forget it! I never see WolfPen Gap squids on my secret road and I intend to keep it that way.