Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
lionroyboy
Registered Member

Default Re: Insurance Recommendation Needed.

The first time I changed insurance companies was when I bought my first "sport bike" about 6 years ago. Because I never owned another sport bike before, my current insurance provider was going to have my rates go through the roof. I looked around, and found an insurance company whose rate was literally over a thousand dollars a year less than my first quote. But, since that time, I ended up with Geico, because they are now the cheapest insurance provider I found for the bike I have and based on my personal information. If you're unhappy with the quote your insurance company gave you, I'd get other quotes. At least if the other quotes aren't any better you won't feel like you're getting ripped off!
lionroyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

You're right- McGraw (Pacific Specialty Insurance Co) WILL classify it as a sportbike. So will Progressive, US Insurance, AIG, Grange, Rider and three or four others. Where do you live and mayb I can Help. It IS what I do for my living. If I can't be direct help, I'll be glad to point you in the right direction.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:20 AM   #3
pdad13
Founding Member

Find a new insurance company.

As the others have stated, different companies will classify the bike differently. The Futura seems to be one of the most sportbike-like of the sport-tourers but it is not a sportbike, certainly not by today's standards.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Yeah, but compared to what? It's the exact same motor as the RSV. I think that the frame is the same, as well.

He does need to switch but don't expect to find a huge selection of companies. Geico, maybe. American Modern Insurance and Dairyland might be good. But State Farm or Liberty Mutual may qualify the bike based on CC size, instead of bike classification. PSIC isn't your friend on this one, that's for sure.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
ewok1
Founding Member

I don't know if this will be much help. we have 8 bikes in the garage this morning. i don't have full coverage on any of them. 5 are gsxrs less than three years old. two are racebikes which i don't insure at all. but she who must be obeyed says that progressive has been our best bet over the years. we can have as many as 12 bikes at a time depending. we have tried a lot of different companies over the years. congrats on your new steed. the futura is really comfortable. i wouldn't mnd one. one weird deal with progressive is that we can only insure 4 bikes per policy. i wonder why that is, but it's not my area of concern. i'm chief purchasing agent.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
ewok1
Founding Member

can you help me figure out wehter i should insure my racebikes
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

K&K Brokerage out of NY or somewhere up there. If you don't remember they were Benny Parson's car sponsor in the early 70's.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
pdad13
Founding Member

You're right, of course. The Futura uses a detuned version of the same Rotax V-twin and the older gen RSV. The chassis is different, though.

And no, he won't have a huge selection of companies to choose from but it's worth a look.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Sad that ol' BP isn't with us any longer.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
acecycleins
Founding Member

"she who must be obeyed" - funny

Boortz uses that line.

the 4 bike deal- exposure of losses. It's their (and dozens of other companies) way of controlling loss on any one paticular policy.