Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-23-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
Zakman
Founding Member

Default Re: Returning rider - Tall rider...

Make sure that after a 15 year absence you get a bike that can at least go 150 mph. Try and find something that will lift the front wheel off the ground in any gear whether you are leaned over or straightened up. It's also very important to find something that has enough horsepower to spin the back tire when ever possible. If you can't seem to find something that will make all of these scenarios possible go to a Suzuki shop and try on a DL650.

Zak
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

So, you're looking at nekked or semi-nekked bikes, is that where you want to stay? If so, the monster is a great bike but reality is that you'll hate the riding position if you ride more than 50 miles. The "original" FZ1 is a great bike with better ergos than the 919. Here are a few others, go all used because you never know how your taste will change over the next few months: Yamaha FZ1, Kawasaki ZRX, BMW R1150R, Suzuki Bandit 1200s, Triumph Speed III. All can be had for between $4500-$6500 used. Check service records on them and ask the bloggers in any of the individual forums for things to look for (small fixes, upgrades, any warranty work) while shopping. Good luck and remember to be patient while shopping. It will help keep the headaches in check.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:44 AM   #3
seruzawa
The Toad

You also might check out some used Triumphs. Legends, Bonnevilles, Thunderbirds and Tigers all have good ergos.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:45 AM   #4
mem03
Founding Member

I'm 6'4" w/32" inseam. I ride a 2002 Triumph Sprint RS, and aside from the bars being *slightly* lower than I would like it's an excellent fit. Seat's not too hard on the keister either. Not too heavy, not too light. WAY more than enough power for me, and about 50 mpg on the road.

Just an option to think about ...
mem03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 AM   #5
jesskauffman
Registered Member

Sounds like you need some bike advice from Yossef. Since he's a fellow lanky guy who tests bikes for a living, he ought to be able to point you in the right direction.
jesskauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default HUm....

If you are that tall and want a bike that seems big under you might try...

Buell Ulysses

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

BMW R 1200 GS

KTM 950 Adventure

Suzuki V-Strom

Triumph Tiger
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:42 AM   #7
rebis69
Registered Member

Acecycleins is pretty much on the mark, I would really give the Suzuki Bandit 1200's a look, very good riding position, also, check out the different cruiser type bikes, add some highway bars and you can pretty much customize your riding position.
rebis69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:53 AM   #8
MTRHEAD75
Founding Member

I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam and i ride a 2002 buell x1 lighting for such a little bike it has a surprising amount of leg room. Just my two cents.
MTRHEAD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:54 AM   #9
buellerbud
Registered Member

If you decide to check out Triumphs, take a look at the 900 Scrambler as well.
buellerbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 AM   #10
ScottMcCrary
Registered Member

I second the Triumph Tiger as a good choice. Comfort, good power, good road manners, and versatile. at 6'0", I'm just big enough to ride it comfortably once I put a Corbin seat on it. It will fit 6'4" quite well. Make the simple addition of bar risers if you want to take it off-road. Used ones, only two-three years old, are available for $6500 or less, with not too many miles on them. (Many people hang onto them and put lots of miles on them- they are good for 100k+ with little trouble.)
ScottMcCrary is offline   Reply With Quote