Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #61
mitctho
Registered Member

Default Re: Returning rider - Tall rider...

Many good suggestions here for big dualies/GS type bikes. I'd add the BMW F650 Dakar, just as tall but not quite as much weight or power for someone re-entering the sport. Not cheap, but a quality machine. If you go for a wee-strom, check out the ABS model, a bargain for a few hondo $ extra.

If you want to go nekkid, maybe a tiger with the fairing removed and speed triple lights/instruments? You could make a pretty funky streetfighter/mongo motard out of a tiger. The new KTM motard is another option if you have the dough.

I agree that after a 15 year layover, some time in a lower power bracket may be wise.
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2007, 12:13 PM   #62
maladg
Registered Member

Hopefully....assumin' I can find something to do other that the dental floss gig that is not related to mining, timber or tourism.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #63
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: ZAPPA

"She was buns up kneelin' and I wuz wheelin' and dealin'...."!!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #64
maladg
Registered Member

I was supposed to say "yes - and be a Dental Floss Tycoon" or was that Mental Toss Flycoon?

Thats what I get for actually taking a business call whilst having fun...
Old 01-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #65
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: ZAPPA

"the oil of Aphroditie and the dust of the grand whazoo (sp), you might not believe this brother but it will cure your asthma, too"
Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #66
acecycleins
Founding Member

"dynamo's is on the edge of the bed with her lips just a twitchin' and her face gone red"
Old 01-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #67
Kreb_Cycle
Registered Member

The wind protection is OK actually. I usually ride scooted all the way back on the seat which gives me more leg-room as well as the incidental benefit of tucking my head a little lower. The stock wind-screen on the s version is not bad. I also used to ride a nighthawk 750 and the wind difference is day and night; the sv is way way better.
He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended. - George Orwell _1984_
Kreb_Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #68
lanaiboy
Registered Member

I'd go Suzuki C90. Very comfortable ride in a nice stretched out position. Of course if you like riding in the fetal position I don't know what to recomend.
lanaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #69
kjbatt
Founding Member

WOW! A donkey with a dunce hat, sucking his thumb, and holding a baby blanket. I subscribed to MO last night, made this post, went to bed, went to work, came home and found 68 comments! I appreciate the input, I get the sarcasm, and I take the words of caution seriously. I only road for a few years before my layoff. I am definitely concerned that the FZ 1 is too much for me. My local Yamaha salesman is probably just hoping for the bigger sale but he insists that I would quickly grow tired of an FZ 6 and that I could handle the FZ 1.

I will take a look at the bikes that you all have recommended - well, except for the girlie, the C90, and the Rebel 250...and I will probably take the advice of buying used and moderate now and then getting something else later.

Thanks again to all for the advice.
kjbatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #70
KLRer
Founding Member

I second the Triumph Tiger recommendation for the second or 3rd time. I'd at least check it out. 15 years isnt that long, really, and you're wise to take the MSF, so you should be fine on a bike with more power than might be advisable for the average novice. You sound like you've been around long enough to restrain yourself until your as capable as your bike is. Some of us never get there.

Also, check out some of the 600 cc class supermotos and of course the venerable KLR 650. A lot will depend on how thick your wallet is.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote