Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-23-2007, 05:39 AM   #21
nesbit
Founding Member

Default Re: Returning rider - Tall rider...

Consider the physical dynamics, more importantly, test ride your dream machines, to determine what ergonomic agony you'll be in after an hour of riding. That should narrow the field considerably. Yeah, that Monster, FZ, Buell, et al, are all eye candy, but after the honeymoon, what will your skeletal and muscular systems be communicating to ya?
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #22
SRMark
Founding Member

Slippin' in my old age.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 AM   #23
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: HUm....

I second that motion along with acecycleins' list mentioned above.

There are plenty of good "tall human" bikes that won't make you a pretzel.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:54 AM   #24
obandoj
Founding Member

250 Rebel!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #25
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: FZ-6 has lots of legroom

Huh? The current VFR's look goofy as hell -- older style was slammin' though.

I personally think having the engine partially or fully exposed -- as on naked, quarter or half-faired bikes -- looks like a "proper" motorcycle and fully faired bikes look odd. Mind you I think some full-faired are sexy as hell, but deviate from a true motorcycle look.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #26
Gritboy
Founding Member

At 6', of the bikes I've owned, my '04 WeeStrom is one of the most enjoyable, well-rounded bike I've ridden. It's fast enough (my old ZX9R was too fast), handles well (with better rubber and a fork brace), is easy to maintain (good ol' SV650 engine), gets decent mileage, and is comfy for 1000+ mile rides (I replaced my buffety stock screen with a Verio touring screen). It also has good around town torque in the low rpm band (the Fz6 is a revver), so you may prefer the laid back engine over a rev happy one.

It's not as sexy as 1098, or as sporty as a GSX-R, or a raw as a Speed Triple, but I'm past my clip-on hunchback riding and find the upright seat and wide bars give me a relaxed command of the road. Nuff said.

Go sit on some bikes at dealerships and check craigslist for some awesome bike deals.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #27
fumanchu
Founding Member

if you're learning again, may i suggest a suzuki bandit, but the 600s version.

600s' can be had for a very reasonable price, and they won't rip your arms off if you acidentally open up the throttle. on the other hand, they have more power than a learner needs, and are definitely fast enough to pass sport cars. the riding position is very comfortable, they get around 40+ mpg, the engine is simple and very reliable, there are tons of after market parts for them. all that and a half fairing for highway touring.

i mention the 600s bandit because it would be a decent bike for a biker re-entering the sport after so long away....that is, you are likely to drop it once or twice on your journey towards reacclimating yourself to the world of riding, and you might want to have a learner to get you through the dangerous "drop, curse, scoop up your pride and drive on" phase.

i am biased because that is what i did with my suzuki bandit 600s. i learned on (and dropped) the bandit so that, with a new bmw 1200 or buell ulysses, i didn't have to.

if you read the frugal fliers article here at MO.com, it will help you to compare the bandit 600s to your old nighthawk.

good luck in the search
Old 01-23-2007, 06:18 AM   #28
12er
Founding Member

Long legs and cruisers do not mix. At least not for me, combine a 36" inseam with a 20" something seat height and you get knees where the bars need to be.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #29
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default XB-9SX

Buell XB-9sx "City X" Has a fantastic -almost dual purpose- riding position, but has a sportbike chassis and great handling.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #30
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Buell Ulysses

BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

BMW R 1200 GS

KTM 950 Adventure

Suzuki V-Strom

Triumph Tiger

XB-9sx

Yamaha FZ1

Yamaha FZ-6

Kawasaki ZRX

BMW R1150R

Suzuki Bandit 1200s

Suzuki bandit 600s

Triumph Speed III

So, when everyone was preaching that they wanted and we NEED tiered licensing legislation you guys meant that the first tier (and someone that hasn't ridden in 15 years IS a first tier, especially since he is just signing up for the safety course) would be bikes between 65hp (DL650) and 129hp (FZ1)?!

I had no idea. If that's the case, than bring on tiered licensing. I was so very wrong. I am sorry I doubted so many of you on this forum.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote