Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #31
fumanchu
Founding Member

Default Re: real advice for newbie rider & Rotell Syn

i would personally be interested in seeing a chemical engineer who designs these types of products post something on the topic.

a dear friend of mine is a Ph.D in mechanical engineering, and has worked for the austrian version of texaco/shell/etc for over twenty years designing gas turbine applications here in eastern europe. i had a long talk with him about oil, something he deals with daily, and his thinking was to simply follow the manufacturers' recommendations on oil and oil changes; be slightly more careful if you are one to use your bike daily, ride at constant high-rpm, or ride in particularly dusty or wet climates. meaning, if the manufacturer recommends two 10w-40 oil changes a year, and you ride hard, three oil changes per year of 10w-40 wouldn't hurt anything. doing less than the manufacturers' recommended maintenance is not smart; doing slightly more doesn't hurt, although it might be somewhat wasteful if your riding style and climate don't warrant it.

anecdotally schlockish, yes, but i stick to this recommended maintenance, and sometimes slightly more when necessary plan because of personal contact with someone who is certifiably much more educated about physical mechanics than i. and i have an altar to ba'al upon which i sacrifice live chickens after every oil change.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #32
maladg
Founding Member

Default Re: real advice for newbie rider & Rotell Syn

My long gone and much beloved Grandpa was a boiler/turbine unit supervisor for GA Power. The engineers told him that they never changed the oil in a turbine. But no products of combustion either. We used to argue about this - he'd cite the engineers and I'd cite CYCLE mag.

I kinda like the chicken thing. I think that would work!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #33
fumanchu
Founding Member

it's a little known fact that ba'al was the druid god of industrial lubricants. ...stonehenge?