Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Help! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/)
-   -   How Often to Change Oil/Filter? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/help/4236-how-often-change-oil-filter.html)

TheFox 01-21-2007 04:13 PM

I am pausing in my zen-like singlemindedness to avoid KPaul for this statement...

Since you're obviously not that busy, why don't you make yourself useful and go ***** up a rope.

--The Fox

mikenomad 01-21-2007 05:09 PM

Re: How Often to Change Oil/Filter?

Once a year, unless you're real busy.

Fenton 01-21-2007 05:28 PM

Every 3 miles.

I do it every 2500-3000 miles, filter too.

Neal 01-21-2007 05:30 PM

Congrats Longride! I wish my Ravens were meeting you but they laid down against the Doga-- Colts. Normally I would be rooting for the AFC but since the Doga-- Colts are in the game,I'll be rooting for your Bears. Jim Irsay can kiss my a-- !Unfortunately I think the Doga-- Colts will win,but I hope not! Enjoy it LR,its been awhile for the Bears.

Aero_Doc 01-21-2007 06:19 PM

A great question, this site

(http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html#Oil) gave me many answers. I've been using diesel oil (Shell Rimula X) in my Sprint ST and XJ6 (car) for about 2yrs now and change them 5k and 8k respectively.

schizuki 01-21-2007 07:11 PM

I use Mobil One synthetic in the spring, with a new filter.

In the winter, before lay-up, I use cheap dino-juice with no filter change - I've read that you shouldn't leave old oil in the crankcase while it's laid up. The dino-juice is purely for sitting in the engine through the winter. In the spring, the dino comes out and the good stuff goes in with a new filter. And the Cycle of Life continues.

Now I'm sure that I'll have someone tell me that I'm contaminating the synthetic with the remains of the dino and will chew my Johnson Rod all to hell.

Dangerousdave_2 01-21-2007 07:27 PM

I hate to get off our favorite sport ofsquid bashing, but I think every 2500 miles is about right. A mechanic whose judgement I trust thinks you can safely go twice as far on synthetics, which is only fair, since they cost about four times as much. Whatever you use, be sure it's formulated for motorcycles. I used regular engine oil (20-50 here in California) for many years, but I'm told the clutch, which runs in an oil bath, needs slightly different properties, and the oil in a motorcycle also is subjected to greater shear type of stresses in the gearbox than would be encountered in a car engine. Now, back to disrespecting that idiotic squid.

Dangerousdave_2 01-21-2007 07:31 PM

Only if you're lucky.

Flickmeister 01-21-2007 10:48 PM

Between this topic and the engine break-in thing, we tend to get so ridiculously anal and verbal. Everyone has an opinion and their's is the only right one. I certainly am not suggesting that anyone should over extend changing their oil and filter changes or bashing the hell out of it's engine during break-in, but I really feel a well built motorcycle is a lot less sensitive and far more durable than we give them credit for. I have this sneaky feeling that a lot motorcycles all sit around and laugh their a-s-s-e-s off at all of the commotion and useless discussions us humans create concerning these two topics. For the record, I used Amsoil synthetic for years. Awhile ago, they had a big price increase and Kawasaki had a terrific promo on their 10-40W motorcycle oil. Have used that in my '06 Gixxer Thou' since birth. I change it every 3000-3500 miles along with the filter. I also had it completely broken in and up to redline in 50-60 miles. The technique I used was not at all abusive and is very specific to proper engine break-in. This is the first time I used this method, and it sure worked beautifully. It doesn't burn a drop of oil and scoots down the road just like a well kept Gixxer 1000 should. For those that are interested, I used Evan Brasfield's break-in procedure found on page 204 of his book, "101 Sportbike Performance Projects." ISBN # is 0-7603-1331-8. Amazon.com sells it for $19.77 plus shipping. I've been riding for 43+ years and have always done my own maintenance, including building my race bike's motor and chassis. I found this book was a valuable addition to my motorcycle library.

fumanchu 01-21-2007 11:07 PM

"...I have this sneaky feeling that a lot motorcycles all sit around and laugh their a-s-s-e-s off at all of the commotion and useless discussions us humans create concerning these two topics..."

...then, my bike suddenly stops laughing when it seese me sauntering towards it, fresh from a lunch of red-bean chili and japalenos.