Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 PM   #31
svtech
Registered Member

Default Re: Is This A Good Purchase?

Yeah, best steer clear of those synthetics.

Especially C-cup and up.

(Personal observation, no supporting data.)

svtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #32
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

It's worth a lot more than a 5yr old ZXR1200. Or one that's been ridden around for 20,000 miles. I don't know why people are all worried about the rubber. You can always put on new tires for $300. I've got a '87 GSXR750 and I've replace grips and tires and nothing else. It runs fine. I've done 300mi trips on it.
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 PM   #33
JoeBlade
Founding Member

For $5K it's a great deal at sticker maybe not so much but still not bad. Either way it's great bike - head over to www.zrxoa.org for the very active owner's association. Popular Mods are a pipe and jet kit for 130hp at the tire. Braided Stainless Steel Lines for the brakes, Ohlins or Works performance shocks in the back and a revalved fork. Keep an eye on the zrxoa.org board for good deals on all the above from time to time. I picked up the shocks cheap and also a big bore kit cheap over there.

With these mods and the stock wide bar, it's a nice cruising medium distance bike that can be ridden long distances, and can be flogged down a back road or hustled around a race track pretty quick.
JoeBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:43 AM   #34
IceWorm
Registered Member

Three years ago I purchased a 1988 BMW K75S with 1600 miles on the clock. It had been on display in a BMW car showroom for 15 years and was like new. I paid $5500 for it which is probably $2k to $2.5K more than a comparable higher mileage K75S sold for three years ago. I put another 12k miles on it and it has indeed performed like a new bike and gets plenty of attention where ever I go. It still looks new and now it is 18 years old. I have yet to regret that buy.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:25 AM   #35
ewok1
Founding Member

I think the decision should be price driven. they don't make it anymore so you should be able to steal it. somebody else mentioned tires. i'd replace them and the brake lines. be ready for some minor hose issues. then go to www.zrxoa.com

those guys are as nutty as the folks here. and as much fun.

its a great bike for the right person. like almost everything.

the green ones are slightly faster. but they have plenty of motor even in the other colors
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #36
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

It all comes down to how good HE feels the deal is to HIM.

If one feels good about the deal - then Buy The Bike. Get them to throw in a set of new tires. Ride it. Be Happy............

[b];^D
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #37
bigjames
Premium Member

HOLY CRAP! I have never read so many people try to make buying ANY bike a rational decision! It NEVER is!! 5 year old "NOS" bike, why the hell not! Should save enough cash to put a helluva lot better set of skins in than the OEM ones! GO FOR IT! And if the other guy really wants chrome polish, send me the number....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:14 AM   #38
dfo
Registered Member

The closest I came to a situation like this was when I bought a "new" crated '82 FT 500 in 1985. Got her for $1100 instead of the list (@$2100, IIRC) and put 19K+ miles on that lil thumper. Enjoyed the heck outta the bike, and yes I did want a street thumper. Mediocore handling, weak brakes and what power, but I had a ball with her over the years and miles. DFO
dfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #39
IceWorm
Registered Member

Nice bike but it had a strange valve design that precluded using a valve cover gasket. It had a single over head cam which actuated a rocker arm that pivoted in the valve cover. The valve lash could not be accurately adjusted with a gasket between the head and valve cover so Honda just left it out. The engine leaked oil non stop from the valve cover down over the hot fins making blue smoke that would waft up at stop lights to remind you that you were leaking oil all the time. Strange! The VT was the better of the Ascots.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #40
03zx12r
Registered Member

Are you able to answer his questions about factory warranty? Unless you are a Kawasaki DLR this question is out of reach - Sure you can speak about it, but assumption will lead to Disappointment.
03zx12r is offline   Reply With Quote