Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
jvbruce
Registered Member

Default Re: Floating/Semi Floating/Full Floating?

I think it has something to do with how hard you pull the brake level - and far you fly afterwards.
jvbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
SmokeU
Registered Member

My Concours has full sponge brakes.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:34 AM   #3
SRMark
Founding Member

It takes a terrible torrent to float a semi.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
priday
Founding Member

I think it has to do with if the Caliper is fixed, and has pistons on both sides of the rotor, or if the caliper has pistons only on one side, and "floats" on pins back and forth.....

Course, I could be totally wrong. The nomenclature can vary by manufacturer, poster, sobrity, your results may vary, past performance may not indicate future results, with approved credit, plus Tax, Title, and License fees.......

Rob

Horsepower is an illusory mathmatical equation; Torque is Real, and is the source of all good things in the world.
priday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
mikenomad
Founding Member

I believe it has to do with the rotor mounting.

On full-floating, the rotor can slide side to side to center itself when clamped by the caliper, providing optimal contact of the pads against the rotor.

On non-floating, if the caliper and rotor aren't perfectly aligned, there can be uneven pressure on the inner and outer pads and less-than-optimal contact, so you don't get maximum possible braking force.
mikenomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

If you look at conventional rotors that are usually 1 piece. Steel in most cases. Floating refers to the mounting hardware. If you look at a floating rotor you will usually find that there are a series of small "rings" on the bottom or inside of the disc. Those little rings are held in place with springs and can move ever so slightly. Solid disc hold lots of heat when pressed in hard duty. Floating disc have a way to move within the mounting hardware and can distribute heat more evenly allowing for less fade. That's all I have. Hope most of it was accurate enough for the wrenches out there. I know there is lots more on this but it's as direct as I can make it.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
saddlebag
Registered Member

Very good explanation. I would only add that to see an example of non-floating rotors see Harley Davidson..for the floating type, see just about everything else.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
jvbruce
Registered Member

It's kind of like a turd. The more fiber it has in it, the higher it floats. Brakes with high fiber content (asbestos, mainly) float more than ones with less.
jvbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
pdad13
Founding Member

Default And what else floats?

"Very small rocks..."

"Churches!"

"A duck."
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

From Winkpedia:

The brake caliper is the assembly which houses the brake pads and pistons. The pistons are usually made of aluminum or chrome-plated iron. There are two types of calipers: floating or fixed. A fixed caliper does not move relative to the disc. It uses one or more pairs of pistons to clamp from each side of the disc, and is more complex and expensive than a floating caliper. A floating caliper (also called a "sliding caliper") moves with respect to the disc; a piston on one side of the disc pushes the inner brake pad until it makes contact with the braking surface, then pulls the caliper body with the outer brake pad so pressure is applied to both sides of the disc.

Floating caliper (single piston) designs are subject to failure due to sticking which can occur due to dirt or corrosion if the vehicle is not operated regularly. This can cause the pad attached to the caliper to rub on