Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: To Ducati or Not To Ducati?

Check out ducatimonster.org. Those folks should be able to answer any and all questions. Oh, and browse through their Monster of the Month galleries and try NOT to buy one of your own to mod.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #12
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I'm going with Fenton on this one. If you spent 15-20 grand on a Beemer and are ready to spend another 10 grand on a second bike, $500 dollars every 1 to 2 years doesn't seem like much to worry about.

Don't get me wrong, I'd give my left nut to be able to afford both bikes right now, and I hope you buy the Duc, so I ain't giving you sh!t.

Just saying that so I don't get another thin skinned MO reader sending me personal emails telling me "I'm a tool and a jackass".
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #13
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Some of those Monster of the Month Galleries are really fun looking...and a few of them are freaking weird looking!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #14
oleland
Registered Member

I own a Multistrada 1000 with 8000 miles on it and did my own valve check at 6000 and all valves were in spec. Just have the dealer throw in a service manual with the deal.I once owned a Suzuki 16 valve sport bike which I thought was much more difficult to do valve checks on than the Ducati.

I think the dealers try to make the service work sound difficult to justify their outrageous prices for service work.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #15
schizuki
Founding Member

The Buell? Are you kidding?

The Duc has a classic, proven air-cooled 95 horsepower 1000cc V-Twin pushing a svelte 395 pounds.

The Buell has an antiquated, obsolete air-cooled 103 horsepower 1200cc V-Twin pushing a porky 395 pounds.

I mean, anybody here could tell you that's no contest.

Seriously, the dude's got his heart set on the Duc, and that's a cool bike.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #16
schizuki
Founding Member

I thought the orange striped one was the cat's a$$.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #17
DaveFla
Founding Member

Great use of facts/data!

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #18
redalfa
Founding Member

I have a Ducati and a BMW so I know how you feel. Ironically I have Naked BMW K1200R and the Ducati 999. I haven't ridden the S2R 1000, but I did have A Ducati Monster which Ducati replaced with the S2R models.

A few thoughts.........I didn't like the 800 because comfort and wind were an issue especially over 80MPH, otherwise it was a blast.....I love the 999 it cuts through the wind unlike the 800. Service costs have not been an issue but if you have a problem or accident, parts are hard to get. Had a spill on some gravel and it took four months for parts.

I was convinced when I got it back I was going to sell it, but once I had it back, there is nothing like a Duc.

I bought the BMW to replace it, but man I love them both, I think you would love having both to, search google for reviews on the S2R.....

redalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Right on! What's all this worry about maintenance costs? Get a manual, some tools and a farking feeler gauge!

Speaking of maintenance costs, I've heard BMW riders complain that a complete dealer maintenance is costing them $2000! Makes Duck look like a bargain, eh? How clueless can you be to actually pay that extortion? If you're too dumb to do basic maintenance then you deserve to be ripped off.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #20
BlueDuck
Registered Member

My 2001 ST2 (which replaced a K100RT) is just shy of 30,000 kms. I bought LT Snyder's Desmodue Maintenance & Modification Guide (Google DesmoTimes) just for the valve adjustment & cam belt replacement chapter so I can do it myself. Great book, and Snyder's advice is pretty much spot on for maintenance issues (clutch etc.). My VStrom is ok, but it'll never tug at my heart like the Ducati.
BlueDuck is offline   Reply With Quote