Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #141
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Re: To Ducati or Not To Ducati?

Except for the gomer who called me a feeble minded lesser mortal I didn't mean to offend anyone here. And in truth i didn't mean to offend him. Until the next response. I meant that.

I raced a 748 and a 900ss for a total of 5 years. I am a slow study. It was hard. They both had a lot of problems. I have owned 3 monsters an st2 and a 996 as street rides. I think ducs make for good 3rd or 4th bikes. I think monsters have bad ergos, no wind protection and perform very poorly for the money.

I now race a gsxr 600 after 3 years on an sv. No problems. I have a friend send me this about racing ducatis.

I think it pretty much says it all

And then came the revelation - I'd had it all wrong, Ducati's are the PERFECT bikes for amateur club racers with real day jobs! Here's why.

1) Racing is dangerous. We all know this, one day any one of us might have The Big Crash that crunches your body and leaves you drooling and muttering for the rest of your life. For an amateur who races for fun, this is an especially bad scenario. We all love to race, it's a challenge and a thrill, but it's also about being part of a big family. The solution is to race an unreliable bike! You minimize your risk by minimizing your actual track time, but you still get to hang out in the paddock and feel like you're a part of the scene! Ducatis are perfect for this, you can be a real racer but stay off the track - this keeps your wife and family happier, and still lets you feel like a racer.

2) Racing is expensive. If you race an unreliable bike, you save many thousands of dollars a year on tires that you won't need, entry fees that you won't have to pay because you won't grid up, race gas, oil changes, etc. It adds up! And, of course, you minimize your chances of having to spend really big bucks rebuilding your crashed bike after wadding up all the money you've invested in it, because you can't crash if you don't ride.

3) Wrenching as a hobby. If you race an unreliable bike, you have a golden opportunity to learn all the intimate details about how your bike works because you get to spend so much of your free time wrenching in the garage! It's even better if you have a local buddy to wrench with, it's a wonderful male-bonding ritual. You also get to make friends with folks at the local shops, for repairs you don't want to do yourself and for parts. It becomes a hobby all by itself, as much as actual racing, but of course without any risk.

4) Legitimate excuse for not going faster. If you don't race, you won't get faster - and so if you race an unreliable bike that keeps you off the track, you have a legitimate excuse for why the folks you used to dice with are pulling off into the sunset and leaving you behind on the rare occasions when you actually ride around the track. Perfect! This minimizes your risk, again, and lets you feel comfortable knowing that if only you had a reliable bike you'd be able to toast 'em.

It's all so clear to me now, I just didn't understand the benefits of racing a Ducati. I wish I had understood all this last year. After my last Thill track day I'm finally going faster on my 750 than I am on my 996, but I'm thinking maybe I should sell the bike and continue to _not_race my 996.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2006, 07:23 PM   #142
ksquid
Banned

LOL excellent post ewok1. Nothing speaks louder than real experience. When I saw all the posts on this thread I thought I was missing something.. Thanks for making feel better. Also 30% of the posts were about me anyway, as JB calls me the one eye pigeon. Expect to face the wrath of the GPTB anyway cause one of the founding members has a Duc.. I suspect he uses it for posing with clients and Gen Y girl friends at the Espresso stands.
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #143
ksquid
Banned

Careful ewok1 is a real racer and a smart cookie with more miles on the track than all of you in the GPTB..
Old 12-19-2006, 07:29 PM   #144
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Kudos to this group!

yawn...
Old 12-19-2006, 07:29 PM   #145
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Kudos to this group!

yawn...
Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #146
schizuki
Founding Member

Yeah, you can type stuff like "A Ducati Monster S2R not really good at anything." And kpaul will be your friend.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #147
schizuki
Founding Member

"It's all so clear to me now, I just didn't understand the benefits of racing a Ducati. "

You also don't understand that nobody but you is talking about racing.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #148
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Oh no, there IS irony here.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #149
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

How much faster have you gotten since your last track day, KP?
Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #150
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

That's it, stroke it...Work the balls.

Just don't shoot any ego on the curtains, it's rude.