Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 12-15-2006, 03:46 AM   #1
jesskauffman
Registered Member

Default Re: Unstable At Any Speed?

My wife and I rented an ST1300 to ride in the Smoky Mountains a few months ago, and it worked just fine. It didn't have a top box, but it handled very well. We rode it down The Dragon with no instability issues, but then again, there's not a lot of straight line riding in the Smokies. Just make sure you adjust the rear shock preload when carrying a passenger and luggage and you should be fine.

Besides, all the ST1300's for sale at my local Honda dealer already have the top box installed, so it must be safe to ride, because a dealer would never sell someone a motorcycle that is innappropriate for their skills and riding style (unless you're a squid with a learner's permit buying a new ZX-10R or ZX-14 for your first bike).
jesskauffman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
yonian
Founding Member

I have a 53 liter Givi box on back of my Kaw Concours. Officially it has something like a twelve pound load limit. It does add some sail effect in stiff crosswinds - and we do have those in Nebraska. But the degradation in handling is minor. I see lots of the other bikes you mention with large top cases and many miles on the odo, so it would seem most people can cope with the extra challenge. And if you are as really frugal you might even consider buying a left over new '06 ZG-1000 Concours for something less than the $8,495 list price. It's a 1985 design, but a good 'un.

yonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #3
JBK1200LT
Founding Member

Buy The Best !!!!!!!! Buy BMW !!!!!!!!
JBK1200LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:21 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Your dealer's talking out his a$$.

I've ridden my Ducati ST4 (much smaller than an FJR or ST) with a passenger, side bags, and a Ventura rack on the back and had no instablility problems.

Remember your braking distances will be longer and the bike doesn't transition side to side as quickly but that would be the case whether you're on a Sport Tourer or a Luxo Barge.

I'd get the Yamaha.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:25 AM   #5
johnnyb
Founding Member

sounds like they really want to sell you a Gold Wing. that's ridiculous i'm pretty sure Yamaha sells a top box for FJR1300 and they are just a little on the cautious side when it comes to Liability.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:38 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Agreed. Do you think that when Honda or Yamaha design these things they aren't already thinking that people will add to the carry capacity of the rig? If I were wrong Givi would suffer greatly. Don't see them declaring bankruptcy- do you? Buy what you want.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:41 AM   #7
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Any truth to the rumour that Yamaha fills the top box with helium to lessen the "instability?"
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:53 AM   #8
DC_Dave
Founding Member

I added a 100 litre Kwang Yang Motor Co. top box to my 2006 GSX-R1000. My 250lb wife and I regularly tour on it-- cross country and sport tour. I haven't noticed any instiability aside the difficulty I have performing balance point wheelies at more than 125mph when fully loaded with passenger.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:53 AM   #9
bbtowns
Founding Member

You are being misled. Pay attention to the GVWR of the bike, and don't overload the luggage. The handling and braking won't be what it is when you're solo, but you and your passenger and all your luggage will be fine on any of these bikes.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:59 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The only thing that sounds "unstable" in the whole thing is your dealer. I'm sure they ride just fine with top boxes.