Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Help!

Old 11-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #11
Gritboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Need New Rear Tire

Stick with the Sync's... the might wear a tad bit sooner, but performance is vital (for fun and safety) and they're excellent.
Gritboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
jibosch
Registered Member

I own a Buell Cyclone, with 25,000 miles on it, and presently own the Michelin Powers, which I find just too harsh riding, and I actually liked my Pirelli Diablo's much better, and they wore great! I got 5000 miles on these, versus 3000 on Dunlop D208's. I would suggest you look at the Pirelli Diablo Strada's, as these are supposed to wear better than the standard Diablo's, without too much sacrifice in performance.
jibosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:50 AM   #13
manalagi001
Registered Member

7K is pretty good for a big, sporty V-twin. Pirelli tires generally have excellent life in each tire class.

If you don't do track days you can probably do well with a sport-touring tire in any brand, such as Bridgestone BT020.

Just check the various manufacturers for their tire models in this category.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog.asp

http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalo...hicleType=MOTO

etc.

Very few people will have ridden all of these tires for 10,000 miles on the same bike...even if you had, by then the tire companies would have new compounds out already. So my advice is to just poke around and sample the tire box of chocolate.
manalagi001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:09 PM   #14
pudlepirate
Registered Member

I have used pilot powers, sports and bridgestone batleaxe bt 10's on my speed triple. I have been very happy with the michilins, my powers currently have 10k on em (Nearly spent) and they stick great, you can ride very agresively and they slide very predictably, little and with great protest. I caught a slimy spot coming though an intersection leaned waay over, the rear tire regained traction very smoothly, no hint of highside. lean angles are great and they warm up quick. The battleaxes lasted about 7k, performance was good but a little scary when cold.. avoid any suden velocity changes. my buddy has bt14s on his gixer and is happy, looks like they are an 8k tire..
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #15
DaveFla
Founding Member

I skipped over the Pilot Roads & Diablo Stradas for Scorpion Syncs when I swapped tires on my 2004 XB12R (4500 miles, rear tire square - it's mostly flat & straight here.)

I like 'em but now I wish I hadn't passed on the sport tour models - those tread blocks make some noise and add a little harshness compared to the stockers. Bottom line, I bet you'll love the new tires whatever they are, given as much commuting as you must be doing.

(7k in two months? Is there an "Iron Butt Commuter" award?)

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #16
Dangerousdave_2
Registered Member

Mileage/grip is all a tradeoff. 7ks worth of grip sounds about right to me.
Dangerousdave_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #17
brax4444
Registered Member

That mileage figure includes some long distance work. 1,500 miles in two days. (I know, I was there.) And he is serious when he says he rides, everywhere he goes.
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:15 PM   #18
brax4444
Registered Member

7,000 miles out of a tire that handles as well as your Scorpions is actually very impressive. Maybe you should finish college on something longer lasting.

BTW - the stock size of your tires will greatly limit your long wearing options. (Sorry for stating the obvious?)
brax4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:02 AM   #19
SmokeU
Registered Member

Eh, I still scrape my feet/parts of the Concours without feeling like it's going to lose traction. Besides, I typically ride 10K+ miles a year and don't feel like buying two sets of tires a year.